This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

When I began my life at the University of Michigan, I was a freshman without a clue as to what she wanted to study for the rest of her college career. There were so many options: political science, biology, public policy, etc. It seemed so daunting to pick something I would have to commit to studying for four years. After spending my first semester at Michigan trying out all different types of classes and paths, I began talking to more and more people about the possibility of business school. It seemed to be the right fit for me, someone who wanted to be able to go into any industry she chose after coming out of school with a set of practical skills she could utilize in any scenario.

I knew how competitive the business school was to get into and worked extremely hard to make my application stand out amongst the hundreds applying. When I got into Ross, I was so excited but a part of me was nervous. I had heard of the school being elitist and cutthroat, an environment in which I was not sure I would or could thrive. There were so many benefits to being apart of this community, but the rumors terrified me and I questioned if I made the right choice.

However, after I arrived at Ross the following fall, I realized I wouldn’t trade this education for anything. Many students, including myself, see the incredible focus on a well rounded education and wonderful career services as a huge draw to the school. Rachel, a junior in Ross, says, “Career support is such a large part of Ross and there are so many resources to help students succeed now and later on in life. Even though there is a big focus on finance and consulting concentrations, Ross does a lot to help those with unique career paths to go further.” 

Yet the biggest surprise for some was how close the community is in Ross. “The amount of group work and significantly smaller classes really allows you to get to know the Ross community. There isn’t a day that I don’t run into multiple people in the Winter Garden to say hi or see classmates outside of class and catch up,” says Lindsey, a junior. In my experience, I loved getting to know the people I was in class with on a more personal level. Michigan is a huge school and having a smaller group within it makes me feel a lot more connected to the University.

While I love Ross, I also understand that it’s not perfect and not for everyone. It is a stressful environment and competitive at times, which is nerve-wracking, but also motivating. There is also a heavy emphasis on recruiting, which becomes consuming during junior year. Yes, there are a lot of internal and external pressures on you throughout your time here, yet Ross does it’s best to alleviate them with the amazing resources it has to offer.

In three words, my time at Ross has been busy, exciting and worthwhile. The education that I have received and the friends I’ve made while here has made me so happy with my decision to apply and attend. I never would have thought I would end up here, but I couldn’t be happier.

Image courtesy of https://www.universitybusiness.com/article/inside-look-business-schools