toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Avoid Cultural Appropriation This Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

For those who may not know or may be confused, cultural appropriation is the adoption or use of the elements of one culture by members of another culture [1]. It typically includes using other cultures’ traditions, food, fashion, symbols, language, and cultural songs without permission. When cultural appropriation occurs, the original meaning of these cultural elements is lost or distorted, and such displays are often viewed as disrespectful by members of the culture being disrespected.  

It’s the month of October and I’m sure many of us are deciding what our Halloween outfits will be. I’m here to remind you all that it is disrespectful to choose to dress as someone’s’ culture or as someone who is of a minority. It is never okay to steal one’s’ culture and mock them, especially during Halloween.

Here is a list of some cultures/people you should not appropriate.

• Indigenous Peoples–First Peoples, Aboriginals, Native peoples– Inuit, Métis
  • African cultures
  • African American culture
  • Homelessness
  • LatinX cultures
  • Asian cultures
  • Aboriginal cultures
  • Pagan (e.g witch) customs
  • Jewish customs
  • Muslim customs

This is just a small list of which cultures, religions, and people to avoid disrespecting by turning them into a costume for one’s amusement.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_appropriation

Images courtesy of: The Daily Dot and Etsy

History of Art major with a double minor in Museum Studies and Native American Studies. Looking forward to my senior year at UM and staying involved in all of my organizations.
Em M

U Mich

Em is a senior at the University of Michigan, studying English and Psychology. Go Blue!