Austin Fisher, Class of 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Name: Austin Fisher

Year: Freshman

Hometown: Macomb, MI

Major: Hopefully PPE

Relationship Status: Single

Fun Fact: My closest experience to death was when I was almost hit by an airplane that was trying to land. In defense of the pilot, I was standing in the middle of the runway. 

Her Campus: What are you involved in on campus? 

Austin Fisher: I work as one of the executive interns for Central Student Government, where I do a lot of the work and research nobody with a real job at CSG does. I worked on the Make Michigan campaign and probably talked to you in the Diag. I’m also brother in DKE and I do research at the Center for Local, State, and Urban Policy at the Ford School. 

HC: What is your favorite kind of music to listen to? 

AF: I jump around genres a lot. Like a lot. I listen to a lot of classic rock, but also a lot of rap, jazz, and indie.  My two favorite artists are a no name indie rock band called The Postelles, and Kanye West. I like Kanye West way more than I should probably admit. 

HC: Tell us how you’d spend your ideal Saturday.

AF: This one is kind of hard. It’d be great to spend an afternoon in downtown Detroit with a couple of close friends. We always talk about taking a day to go to the DIA, a Tigers game, and then capping the day off with Lafayette Coney Island—the Fleetwood of all Coney islands. 

HC: What do you look for in a significant other?

AF: I look for someone who shares a lot of my interests, and someone who I know I can joke around with. I think there’s more to talk about when you are both passionate about similar things, and there are even more things to do together. 

HC: Favorite class taken so far?

AF: Last semester I took a First Year Seminar about Comedy and Social Change. In retrospect, the class did absolutely nothing for my future career path or major plans, but it was probably the most fun class I’ll ever take. I literally watched The Daily Show for homework in that class. My professor Manan Desai was really passionate about the comedy and he was extremely flexible with what we learned. Half way through the semester we switched up some of the curriculum to focus more on comedians we wanted to learn about. Honestly, it was such a pointless class, but I loved every minute of it. 

HC: If you could have any job at all, without worry about money, location, etc., what would you do and why? 

AF: Half of me is torn between wanting to sell ice cream and pina coladas on a beach in Hawaii for the rest of my life, and the other half wants to be a US Senator. I’m going to go with the nerdy answer and say I’d want to be a Senator. I’ve been extremely passionate about politics since a young age, and though many look down on the government, it’s still something I strive to be part of. Wait, scratch that. I just realized I could take Robert Iger’s job. Yeah, if I could have any job I would want to be the CEO of Disney. Free admission to the parks, and free Disney movies? He probably has one of the happiest jobs in the world. 

HC: Absolute best thing abut U of M?

AF: Bursley dining. Kidding. I love that U of M has the best of both worlds when it comes to college. We’re a big school with a nightlife, football team, and massive college town, but we also have world-class faculty and some of the best programs in the world.

HC: Give us your best pickup line.

AF: Excuse me, can you help me pick up my jaw? I dropped it when I saw your eyes. 

Carly is a sophomore at the University of Michigan majoring in Communications with a minor in Digital Studies. She adores travelling and super corny inspirational quotes. Some fun facts: she owns way too many cat sweaters and her signature order at IHOP is a double order of bacon. Follow her on instagram and twitter @ cargriffinn.