APO: Leadership, Friendship, and Service

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Leadership. Friendship. Service. These are the three pillars of Alpha Phi Omega. APO is a national co-ed service fraternity with a chapter here at our beloved U of M. I joined APO my second semester of freshman year and could not resist the opportunity to share more about this hidden treasure. Not many people have heard about this organization, but it is one of the largest organizations on campus with over 300 members. Not only do members perform over 50 hours of community service per school year, but there is also a strong sense of brotherhood within APO. What is really great about this organization is that it brings a variety of community service opportunities to one place. Within APO you can be a volunteer both on-campus and off-campus. Some of the projects are collaborations with already existing student organizations such as Make-A-Wish, Dance Marathon, and Blood Battle. However, APO creates their own projects as well, and the list of opportunities is ever-growing!

Members of the Gamma Pi chapter of APO, at the University of Michigan, are involved in all three pillars. Leadership embraces taking a role as a leader in either a committee, on the executive board, or mentoring new pledge members. Friendship involves participating in fellowships and team building activities with other members in APO. Lastly, service allows members to dedicate their time to helping different levels of their community.

Katherine Troutman, a senior studying Actuarial Mathematics and Economics, is the president of APO. Katherine joined APO because of all its unique features all tied up into one organization

She says, “Everyone’s experience in APO is completely different and exactly what they want it to be, and that’s what I think is really unique compared to other organizations on campus.” One of the service projects that is Katherine is very proud of is KnitWits. KnitWits allows APbrOs to knit scarves and sew hats and mittens for less fortunate people. Not only is it a rewarding project, but it also allows you to destress after long days studying and going to classes. Katherine’s other favorite project was when she was able to help a local elementary school with an apple tasting event during lunch in order to promote healthy eating.

Without a doubt, APO is so rewarding but it is also an amazing family to be apart of on campus. As Katherine calls it, “APO is a one stop shop org,” with literally something for everybody and if it doesn’t exist, you can create it! The positive impact that this organization has on not only its members, but also its entire community is something I was so surprised to find here on campus. Overall, I think it is important to help as much as you can in your community, whether it be with a student organization or on your own. In a place like Ann Arbor, the possibilities are endless, so go out and pay it forward!

Photos courtesy of Emma Huez