Ann Arbor: A Book-Lover’s Heaven

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Since starting my journey at the University of Michigan seven months ago, I’ve gotten the opportunity to explore the wonderful city of Ann Arbor. I went to the different sushi restaurants, the abundance of coffee shops, but it’s the Ann Arbor bookstores that I keep returning to. I love adding books to the list of books I need to read and because of that I can’t get myself not to wander into every bookstore I see. There are three bookstores that I never seem to leave empty handed.

Literati Bookstore – 124 E Washington

This three-level bookstore could keep any book lover occupied for hours. With their own coffee shop upstairs, it’s easy to get cozy and dive into a new novel. Don’t have a book to read and want a recommendation? The staff writes reviews on some of their favorite books and hangs them on the shelves with the corresponding books. Besides the coffee and three levels of books, there are events and book clubs happening almost every week meaning there’s always something to do. However, one of my favorite things about Literati is the typewriter on the lowest level. People are encouraged to use it and leave notes. Some of these notes are posted on the wall next to the typewriter and others are painted on the wall outside the building. This gives the bookstore a more personal and individualized feeling.

The Dawn Treader Book Shop – 514 E Liberty St

If you want to get lost in a bookstore, literally lost, but in a good way, this is the place to go. With countless shelves creating a maze of aisles, getting lost is a strong possibility. Books fill every shelf, they line the floor, and are stacked on top of the shelves. A large majority of the books are used (in great condition) and reasonably priced. This is the perfect place to go for a reader who feels like they have read everything or for a reader who is willing to read anything. With a library selection of books, it’s easy to walk to any shelf and find a book to read. If you get the chance, talk to the owner. His knowledge of books is marvelous. He can recite the first chapter of “The Princess Bride” and talk about almost any book that you can think of.

Bookbound Bookstore – 1729 Plymouth Rd

This bookstore requires a hike to North Campus, but it’s definitely worth it. Warning, you will be greeted by an adorable and loving dog named Chester. As if that’s not reason enough to go, the books here are new and many are marked down in price. This bookstore has it all: new books, used books, book marks, quirky pins, tote bags, and a dog. Bookbound also has reviews on the shelves that makes it easy to find an interesting novel. This bookstore is a mixture of a new book store as well as a used book store and it makes for a great experience for any book lover.

Photos courtesy of Caitlyn Mira.