Allie Leitch ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

HC:  Tell us a little bit about yourself!

My name is Allie Leitch and I am a sophomore at UofM pursuing a double major in BBCS and Communication Studies. I hope to eventually work in Public Relations. I am from Birmingham, Michigan and I transferred here from Wake Forest second semester freshman year. I ended up choosing to transfer here because of the amazing town of Ann arbor and the diverse opportunities available at a big school such as UofM. Not to mention the football Saturday’s….

HC:  Tell us more about the organization you have recently decided to start up and why you wanted to do it at the University of Michigan.

I started the professional communication arts & sciences fraternity, Zeta Phi Eta. I noticed there wasn’t a professional fraternity for communications and began researching. I discovered Zeta Phi Eta and have been working with their national president as well as UofM to get it started. I hope to provide a community to mentor each other and provide networking opportunities.

HC:  What made you decide to get involved and take on the leadership role of chapter founder?

I think that any way to create communities within a large school is awesome and there was no intimate and small opportunities for communications students to guide each other and share opportunities and wisdom regarding the field. I want to provide a place to help each other and bring people in to help us whether it’s a resume workshop or a speaker in the field providing guidance.

HC:  What will people who participate in Zeta Phi Eta this semester be doing to help?

There are many positions in Zeta Phi Eta  for students to be involved and to help us advertise and fundraise!

HC:  What are some of the challenges you’ve had to face starting Zeta Phi Eta?

Some challenges I faced included working with a  large national committee, which can be hard but the leaders at Zeta Phi Eta have been helpful and patient while we work through red tape at the University of Michigan.

HC:  What does the future hold for Zeta Phi Eta?

We hope to grow and eventually provide networking opportunities for communications students in a more intimate environment. The beauty of having a group of students to start something is that we can mold it into whatever we want or need it to be.

HC:   How can HerCampus readers get involved in your organization?

Email us at UMzetaphieta@gmail.com and look out for rush information next semester!! 

Nikki is a senior at the University of Michigan double majoring in English and Communication Studies.  In addition to Her Campus, Nikki is also involved in Ed2010, The Forum-Michigan's Greek Life Newspaper, Alpha Delta Pi, and Gamma Sigma Alpha.  In her spare time, she enjoys being outside, playing guitar, going on bike rides, and traveling.  Her guilty pleasures include celebrity gossip sites, Glee, and chocolate chip cookies.