Ali, Gabby, and Catie Deloof: Swimming Sisters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Names: Ali, Gabby, and Catie Deloof

Ages: Ali is 21, Gabby is 19, and Catie is 18

Hometown: Grosse Pointe, Michigan

Her Campus: What made all 3 of you decide to come to Michigan to swim?

Ali Deloof: I chose to come to Michigan because I wanted to be close to home, swim collegiately at the Division 1 level, and know that I was going to get a great education. One of our cousins attended the university as well, so I always looked up to her in wanting to come to school here. Also, being from Michigan, coming to school here was always on my mind and being able to go to football games is a definite bonus.

Gabby Deloof: I chose to come to Michigan because I wanted to compete with my sisters instead of against them. I always loved being on the same team as them, and I wouldn’t want it any other way. Also, it was close to home, and the academics are top-notch. 

Catie Deloof: I chose to come here because it is a great university academically and athletically, and it is close to home.

HC: What is your favorite part about the Michigan swimming and diving program?

AD: Having friends that will last a lifetime and learning how to be a champion through the sport of swimming and in the classroom, with the help of our very supportive coaching staff.

GD: The people you swim with are with you through the good and the bad. Everyone is so supportive, and the coaches will help you achieve and push you further than you ever imagined.

CD: Everyone being so close and supportive of one another with similar goals.

HC: How has having your sisters on the same team as you affected your college experience?

AD:  Having my sisters around is a blast. It is similar to high school when we would train and go to school together, but swimming at the collegiate level is a lot different than high school. Being able to race everyday, lift weights together, and grow even closer as sisters really makes swimming at Michigan so much fun with them by my side. Gabby and I were able to take a class together, so that was pretty cool… maybe next semester I can take a course with the two of them to say we all had a class together! How neat would that be?!

GD: It made my transition a lot easier, and so far, it has made my college experience incredible. I swim mid-distance events, whereas Catie and Ali are sprinter, so I am not with them most of the time, but being in the same environment is fun. Both of my sisters are always so supportive and loving through everything we do at the pool, and we definitely push each other to be the best that we can be.

CD: It has made the transition out of high school that much easier. It is a lot of fun training with them and seeing them everyday.

HC: You all are extremely successful swimmers. What do you think are the biggest factors that contribute to your success?

AD: Having the great support system comprised of my family, friends, coaches, and teammates that push me to be the best athlete, student, and person I can be.

GD: Having a support system behind you is the biggest factor because they will always believe in you when you don’t believe in yourself. Also, training is a big factor because trusting the process, no matter how hard it is, will get you where you want to go. Family, friends, and teammates push us to be the best for ourselves, as well as the team.

CD: All the hard training that has been put in each day, and all my coaches who have believed in me over the years.

HC: What other organizations, clubs, or activities are you involved in on campus?

AD: Unfortunately, we are not really involved in any other campus organizations, but sometimes we do team community services. One of the big things that the student athletes enjoy going to are the weekly trips to Mott’s Children’s Hospital. We get to spend time with the children who are getting treatment there.

GD: Just like Ali said, we aren’t involved in any other campus organizations, but we do team community service. The weekly trips to Mott’s Children’s Hospital are a big thing. Ali and I are also involved with the MLeaders, which is a leadership program for student athletes to connect better with peers and coaches. It teaches us how we can approach certain difficulties through swimming and how we can be the best possible leaders.

HC: What are some of your best time-management tips to help juggle all of the pressures of academics, athletics, and outside activities?

AD: I have learned how to properly organize my planner by filling in what I have to get done every single day, spacing things out so I don’t get overwhelmed or have to cram work for the night before it’s due. Remembering to write every detail down is really important for me because I tend to lose track of things really easily. Also, I have to have an understanding that everything will get done, and I have to take it one day at a time with homework, training, and outside activities. Learning how to relax, have fun, and take time for yourself is also crucial!

GD: Writing everything down in a planner. Once the semester starts and we get course syllabi, everything on the syllabus goes into my planner for all my classes. I write things down a couple days in advance so I have enough time to finish everything. I also make time for myself, such as having a free night off of homework just to relax with my sisters or to go to bed early. I always go to bed by 10 p.m. or earlier, so that I have enough energy for the next day to get things done. I take things one day at a time when I’m very stressed, and I keep reminding myself that everything will get done.

CD: I would have to agree with Ali. You definitely can’t take the free time you have for granted. You need to get organized, and the best way to do that is writing everything out in a planner and following through with it. Only focus on one thing at a time, and be patient.

HC: Do you have any diet and exercise tips for average college girls on staying fit and healthy?

AD: Try to work out at least two or three times a week, doing whatever it is you enjoy. We have had the wonderful opportunity to use spin bikes for an extra aerobic activity, so maybe finding a spin class or even doing some relaxing yoga to relieve stress and have some fun during college! Getting people to workout with you is always motivating too. Stay accountable for any fitness and health goals you may have and know it is okay to fall off track sometimes, but keep up the good work!

GD: Work out with a partner, and try out a lot of different activities until you find one that is right for you. You have to enjoy what you are doing or else it will just feel like a job you don’t want to do. Plan your meals out for dinner, so you aren’t always eating out! Hold yourself accountable to the healthy eating and fitness to stay fit.

CD: Working out regularly with a partner is a good idea. It is a nice stress releaser, and it takes your mind off of things for a while. Also, watching what you eat and not eating too much junk food is a good way to stay healthy.

HC: What are your favorite individual memories from your time at Michigan?

CD: Our first camping trip when we arrived on campus. It was a great way to get to know everyone so quickly and learn more about each other.

AD: There’s so many, it’s hard to decide what my favorite is, but I would have to agree with Catie on the camping trip this year. We were able to go camping with the men and women’s teams. We cooked for each other, did fun activities, and slept in tents! Also, going to football games with teammates is always a blast!

GD: Our training trip in Florida after Christmas is a blast. Everyone puts in a lot of hard work, and you get to enjoy the sun. Also, my first Big Tens and NCAA’s were memories to last a lifetime. Feeling the adrenaline throughout my body at such big meets were moments I will never forget.

HC: Tell us a fun fact about yourselves!

AD: I love to craft. I enjoy painting canvases with quotes on them for myself and for my friends! Any DIY crafts I find on Pinterest- I love making!

GD: I love fashion and keeping up with the newest trends. I would definitely have to say I have a pretty preppy style, but I also love the hipster look. Although I almost always wear Lululemon to class, I try to look like a normal student sometimes!

CD: I like to clean. I enjoy cleaning my room and organizing stuff for fun and to de-stress. I’m also an Irish Twin!