freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

8 Things I Wish I Could Tell About a Guy From the First Date

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Unless you’re on a first date with a friend (and even if he is a friend), chances are you’re trying to unravel the mystery of the man before you. Like me, you might be confused, nervous, and a little disoriented. Here you are, eating dinner with someone, a list of questions about them growing in your head. Fear not, I’m just as dazed and confused as anybody. Here are some things that go through my mind:

1. Why did he ask me on a date/say yes to a date? 

So he asked you out – or you asked him. But why is he here now? Maybe he thinks you’re cool and wants to get to know you. Maybe he thinks your pretty. Maybe he’s desperate for a rebound. Maybe he really likes your boobs or butt. Or both.

2. Is he nervous?

His hands aren’t shaking and he’s not sweating. You’re checking his face for signs of distress, wondering what he’s feeling. Maybe you hope he’s nervous with first date butterflies. Maybe you’re praying that he can feel comfortable around you. Either way, you must know.

3. Does he find me interesting? 

What thoughts are floating around beneath that well-cut hair that you just want to run your fingers through and pull…

4. Is he Mr. Nice Guy? 

The last guy wasn’t so nice and you’re really hoping that things are on the upswing. Hopefully this one has a heart and knows how to use it.  

5. Is this a date or a sacrifice for sex? 

The constantly on your mind, all-important question. What’s this guy’s goal?

6. Does he care about anyone other than himself? 

Maybe he volunteers at a retirement home or paints with kids at a summer camp. Maybe he taught his younger brother to swim at his grandfather’s lake. The point is: are we going to be able to have a two-sided conversation, mutually sharing tales of our lives?

7. Is he crazy? 

Well, crazier than me?

8. Is there potential here? 

You probably won’t be able to judge from the first date, but you really don’t want to waste your time. It feels like you’re always wasting time. But maybe this one is different. I guess you’ll have to ask him on another date.

Images courtesy of imgur, giphy.com, and thegloss.com

Lauren is a spiritual, sarcastic science-geek from just outside of Philadelphia, PA. She studies cellular & molecular biology with a minor in writing at the University of Michigan. She's been labeled an "old soul" but can also demonstrate a lack of adult-like qualities. When she's not furiously taking notes in a lecture hall or blogging, you might find her practicing yoga, being unproductive with her roommates, reading, drawing, or meditating. Or watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer with a big bag of popcorn in her lap. Or looking at pictures of her dogs and wishing that her parents would ship them to Ann Arbor.