6 Things You’ll Actually Miss About School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

In less than a week, we will each take approximately four exams, turn in two papers, have about seventeen nervous breakdowns, and contemplate dropping out at least twice a day. And yet, in less than a week, it will all be over. Every year, the school year seems to fly by quicker and quicker, but the amount it sucks only seems to increase exponentially. Conversations seem to revolve around either the amount of work we have to do, or the amount of work we are going to put off so we can take another nap. Thinking about school as anything but Public Enemy #1 right now seems insane, but buried under all that stress and studying is actually some good. Over the summer, we know we’ll be daydreaming of game days and Pizza House, but trust me, there are even a few things about the actual school part of school that we’ll miss.

Waking up to a “Class Canceled” email. BEST. NEWS. EVER. The only thing comparable to finding out you were accepted into this lovely university is finding out that you don’t have to go to one of its classes. Sleeping in has never felt so good, and likely won’t ever again.

When your professor lets you out five minutes early. Five minutes may not seem like much to the professor, but it might as well be hours to us. Now you have time to go to the bathroom, refill your water bottle, and actually get a seat not next to that creepy guy in your next lecture. Plus, you get to avoid the stampede that is the Diag between classes. Blessup.

Having an extremely close relationship with your advisor due to the life planning sessions that occur within your hour and a half appointments. There’s nothing like walking into an advising appointment looking like a wreck wearing two different shoes, and then walking out after declaring your major, switching minors, planning your study abroad, and paying the security deposit of the house you’re going to live in for the next 50 years. God bless advisors, we would all literally be lost without you. 

Not buying the textbook and then having your professor cut it from the syllabus. They should have listened, they should have believed you. “It’s on the syllabus,” they said. “There’s an entire paper based on it,” they said. They were wrong. You weren’t being cocky when you didn’t buy the book, you were really just being lazy, but they don’t need to know that.

Sitting in the same “unassigned” seat every day all semester. Yes, that’s not your “assigned” seat, but you’ve still become emotionally attached to it over the past three months. Walking into class every day to see “your” seat wide open shows that it truly has become your property, and everyone in class knows it. Success.

Walking out of an exam. FREEDOMMMMMM!!! Easily the best feeling in the world, bar none. Who cares if you only answered half the short answer and guessed on 90% of the multiple choice? You’re done, and you never have to think about that material again (unless the final is cumulative, which in that case, RIP).

Images courtesy of: Giphy

Julie is a sophomore at the University of Michigan who is currently undecided on her major, and loving it. There is a 95% chance that when she is not showering, taking an exam, or sleeping, you will find her drooling over one of the twelve food acocunts she follows on instagram. Her hobbies include quoting every line from Gilmore Girls, planning her wedding to a professional hockey player, and taste testing all of the Michigan dining hall soups. For even more insight into her very eventful life, follow her on instagram @juliefurton.