5 Ways To Get Through The Semester Post-Thanksgiving Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Thanksgiving Break is a haven for most college students who eagerly look forward to eating home-cooked meals, catching up with high school friends and not doing any homework for five days, even though you promise yourself that you will. However, upon coming back to school after such a fulfilling few days at home, most students lack any desire or motivation to finish out the home stretch of the semester. Here are a few tips to help push you through the finish line.

1. Intersperse your time with fun activities.

Whether it’s doing a secret santa will all of your friends, wearing the new Christmas sweater you just got from Ragstock to a holiday party, or making latkas in your apartment, plan out fun things to do for the rest of the year. Even though finals and work characterize the remainder of the year, ensuring that you have things to look forward to will keep your mood peppy.

2. Put all of your finals on a calendar.

After Thanksgiving, you think you have so much time before finals really start, and then all of a sudden it’s the middle of December and you’re drowning in work. Write out on a calendar what you have due and when so you are fully aware of what’s coming up and how much you need to prepare.

3. Make time for the gym.

This is most people’s nightmare, but at this point in the year, it’s so necessary. First of all, exercising will release endorphins to put you in a good mood necessary with all the work and dreary weather. You can also get a head start on your inevitable New Year resolution to work out more!

4. Make a holiday playlist.

Nothing cheers anyone up more than holiday music. Search for a great holiday playlist on Spotify, or make your own, for hours of entertainment that will make you want to do work even longer just to hear more songs.

5. Keep your eye on the prize.

It’s so easy to lose motivation at the end of the year, but just remember for what you’ve been working so hard. This is the final stretch for something you’ve been working at for over 3 months. It may be so hard to focus now, but forcing yourself to do so will for sure pay off in the long run.