jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Your End of Fall Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Fall is oh so unfortunately coming to its end. The leaves have changed and fallen, pumpkin spice has been swapped out for peppermint mocha, and the notorious 4 p.m. sunset has made its comeback. As we make this transition from fall to winter, here are the best essentials to get you through the chilly days ahead.

1. Candles

Nothing quite ties a room together in the fall like a good candle. Appearance-wise, they give any room a cozy ambience. As for the scent, they’ll make you feel like you’re baking pumpkin pie, drinking a latte, or jumping in a pile of leaves, all from the comfort of your bed. Sadly, candles aren’t allowed in the dorms, but if you live off campus you should be all set. So, get to it: Bath and Body Works is calling your name.

2. Functional Accessories

Who said accessorizing couldn’t be practical? As the days get colder and colder, try incorporating accessories like beanies and scarves into your wardrobe. They add a little oomph to your outfit all while keeping you nice and toasty. Plus, you’ll look so cute all bundled up!

3. Dirty Chai

A chai latte with a shot of espresso, dirty chai is my new obsession. It’s something I’ve wanted to try for a while, but just never got around to. My friend recently recommended it me, so I figured I’d finally take the plunge and get one. Now I’m hooked! It has a distinct coffee taste, with that sweet, spicy chai flavor hidden below the surface. I also add vanilla for an extra kick. Definitely give it a try if you’re looking for a new go-to drink.

4. Music

Music is a necessity all year round, but it’s especially great during the fall time. If, like me, you’re not quite ready for Christmas songs just yet, go for fun, mellow tunes. Alternative and indie pop are my genres of choice for this time of year. They’re the perfect soundtrack for walking through campus on crisp mornings. Don’t know where to start? We have a playlist for that. 

5. Boots

Another functional but cute essential, boots are my favorite thing to wear in the colder months. Whether you’re into combat boots, or you’re more of a heeled bootie type of girl, the right pair is out there somewhere. They’ll keep your feet nice and warm, and complete any fall outfit.

6. Dark Lipstick

This is the time of year to break out your darkest lipstick. Whether you’re going for a deep purple, chocolate brown, or berry red, there are so many colors to choose from that it’s impossible not to find one that works for you. My advice: stick to liquid lipsticks for darker colors. Although finding the perfect formula can be tricky, it’s definitely worth it. Since liquid lipstick dries down, it won’t constantly move around and make a mess. You’ll be worry free, all while looking fierce.

Hopefully these essentials will help get you through these last few weeks of fall. Make the most out of them, because it won’t be long until winter rolls around!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4

Maria Arvanitis

U Mass Amherst '19

Maria is a senior studying psychology and English at UMass Amherst. She has a passion for traveling, animals, and 80s movies, and her hair color is always changing. Find her on Instagram: @m.ria
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst