This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Here we go, guys!

The feminist movement is over, right? Well, think again, Collegiettes! Feminism is just as relevant as it was back when Gloria Steinem started Ms. Magazine and even when Susan B. Anthony was fighting to get women the right to vote. Yes, we have made great leaps in the feminist movement, such as the 19th Amendment, Roe vs. Wade, and many others. We see women today going after their dreams, working outside of the home, and continuing their education, which were all made possible by the feminists that came before us. But, that does not mean everything that the women’s movement fought for was won, so we can’t give up the fight just yet. 

In today’s society women are still paid less for the same work as men, they’re portrayed in the media as sex objects, held at unattainable beauty standards, and don’t even get me started on rape culture. So, don’t let anyone tell you feminism and being a feminist today isn’t relevant. Because it is, and here are some UMass students to tell you so, and describe why they need feminism in their own lives today.

Now that you’ve read other people’s reasons, think about why you need feminism in your life! And don’t just think feminism should be a woman’s issue. Many men are out there fighting for women’s right as well. Kate Nash said, “Feminism is not a dirty word. It does not mean you hate men, it does not mean you hate girls that have nice legs and a tan, and it does not mean you are a bitch or a dyke, it means you believe in equality.” Let’s all de-stigmatize the word “feminist” and “feminism” in our lives to promote gender equality and happiness everywhere!

Carson McGrath

U Mass Amherst

Carson McGrath is in her first year at the University of Massachusetts. She is studying English and Journalism and hopes to one day write professionally. She is a triplet and loves the color orange, sushi, and Audrey Hepburn.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst