Why Playing Games Is Popular in Hook-Up Culture Today

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Our generation has found comfort in hiding behind technology. Ever since cell phones made their debut a little more then a decade ago, we have developed certain expectations revolving around dating and hooking up. Our communication has become so deficient that it has become hard to hold a conversation with someone in person. Before cell phones were available, a guy would take a train and two busses just to ask a girl out. Texting was invented to make communicating easier, but in fact it has done the opposite.  Guys and girls are talking so much through texting that there is practically no face-to-face conversation. It is difficult to interpret emotions and tones through a message, which has distorted the way we talk to each other.

The worst part of it all are these “games” that have become instilled in our very ritual of dealing with members of the opposite sex. We try to make ourselves seem less available by waiting a certain amount of minutes before answering a text. Girls refuse to text a guy first because they don’t want to seem too eager.  We always play hard to get, but why? Where did these ideas come from? There is no reason to waste your time with someone who is going to act like they don’t want you. No one has time for these games. If you want something go get it. Don’t sit and stare at your phone for hours waiting for a guy to text you first. Put yourself out there.

Everyone is so afraid of rejection, but the reality is that it’s going to happen, so just embrace it. Not every single person you meet on this planet will like you, but you have more of a chance of meeting someone who will if you just take a risk and put yourself out there.  It’s a waste of energy to talk to someone while walking on eggshells because you’re scared that something you say will make them uninterested. If someone doesn’t like that you speak your mind and are straightforward with what you want, then they aren’t worth your time anyway.

What are your thoughts, Collegiettes?

Currently a Senior majoring in Psychology, so naturally I am freaking out about finishing up the last couple months here at UMass. I have a passion for learning about human sexuality and ultimately hope to make it a career. I could not have asked for a better college experience and I wouldn't change a thing.Check out my blog!http://www.sexwithoutafilter.com 
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst