Why New Englanders Love Tom Brady & Everyone Else in the Country Hates Him

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

There are endless reasons why New Englanders love Tom Brady, and most of those reasons tend to also be why everyone else in the country hates him. Or maybe it’s just a bad case of jealousy. So sad.

1. He’s always been talented, but hard work got him where he is today. And no one can take that away from him.

During his first two years at the University of Michigan, Tom Brady was a backup quarterback. As he began his college career, he was only seventh on the depth chart and struggled immensely to get playing time. He even considered transferring to the University of California, Berkeley. 

After forcing himself to train — mentally and physically — more than anyone else on the team, Brady earned a starting position in the ’98 and ’99 seasons. During these seasons, he set new Michigan records for most pass attempts and completions in a season, according to his Wikipedia page.

Even in the 2000 NFL draft, Brady was chosen in the sixth round by the New England Patriots. He only took over as starting quarterback after Drew Bledsoe’s devastating injury. Since then, he has won five Super Bowls, four Super Bowl MVPs, and two League MVPs.

Hard work and determination led him to becoming the player that he is, and no matter how much you try to hate on him … that fact cannot be denied. 

2. He wasn’t necessarily born beautiful, but he certainly is now. 

Pictures are worth a thousand words. 

I mean … come on!

3. He has the respect of Bill Belichick. 

If you’ve ever seen a press conference with Big Bill, then you get it. 

He’s a tough nut to crack. But together, the two are just unstoppable. 

4. Not even Roger Goodell can take him down. 

If you’re alive, then you’ve probably heard of Deflategate at least once. But #SorryNotSorry, Mr. Goodell … your four-game suspension clearly didn’t work.

5. He’s married to Gisele Bündchen.

BAM. 

6. He’s a great business man. 

TB12, people. Look it up. Gisele and Brady will be the first to reverse the aging process. Just look at them!

7. He’s an even better dad. 

He makes special protein pancakes for his three children, Jack, Benjamin, and Vivian, and takes them on crazy adventures—like a trip to Costa Rica! Plus, he gave them the best genes ever created.

8. He’s the greatest quarterback of all time.

Like I said, he’s done a lot with the Patriots. In addition to Super Bowls and MVP titles, he has been named to the Pro Bowl 12 times, and led the league in passing three times. Brady holds numerous NFL post-season passing records, and has more post-season wins than any other quarterback. With Brady as quarterback, the Patriots have never had a losing season, have won 14 division titles, and played in 11 AFC Championship Games from 2001 to 2016. 

Stats don’t lie. 

9. He’s the guy everyone gets compared to. 

How many times have you heard someone say “He’s like the Tom Brady of [insert literally anything].” How must that feel? You can’t even be the hero of your own kingdom. Tom Brady is just that great. 

10. Ring No. 1 … 2 … 3 … 4 … and 5. 

‘Nough said. 

11. No one else can be Tom Brady. 

I mean, it’s physically impossible. 

GIFs/Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

I am a double major in political science and legal studies and am also seeking a certificate in public policy. I'm an avid reader and writer and am proud to be the event coordinator for my chapter! UMass Amherst Class of 2018
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst