Why Loving Yourself Is the Best New Years Resolution

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Another year is about to end, and with 2016 quickly approaching, many of us are breaking out the notepads to create a list of resolutions for this year. As we make promises of going gym, eating healthy, and being better people, we should also be making the greatest promise of all: to love ourselves.

Many of the 365 days in a year are spent by people comparing themselves to others; wishing they could change one thing in their genetic makeup or personality to achieve what others consider perfect, acceptable, normal, or pretty (the list can go on and on).

In 2016, make a resolution to get up in the morning and look at your reflection in the mirror. This year don’t wait for people to tell you that you are beautiful, smart, handsome, kind, or special. Look at your reflection each morning and know you are already all of those things. Yes, hearing it from others is nice, but realize that you don’t have to wait for them to affirm what you already know about yourself.

Accept the things that you cannot change, and know that they are the things that make you the person that you are. Don’t strive or pretend to be something you are not. Remember it’s okay to fail and it’s okay to hit rock bottom as long as you get back up. Remember your strengths this year; embrace and show them to others. Wake up each day and learn something new about yourself.

Always walk into a room with confidence: strut like you are on a runway, say what’s on your mind if you think an outcome is wrong, and never think you are not good enough. Know that you are striving to achieve greatness, and that greatness will come to you. Believe in your talents and goals, and don’t listen to the people who try and tell you how to live your life.

There will always be people who will talk about you, laugh at you, and judge you. Know that those are people who lack love in themselves, and therefore want to see other people miserable. In the words of the great Taylor Swift, those are the haters, they are going to hate, and in 2016 you need to just shake them off.

This year remember self-esteem makes you super, superb, and supreme. Follow your arrow wherever it points, and know that you can love yourself and you don’t need anybody else. There is nothing wrong with being confident, because the haters are going to hate and the fakers are going to fake. So don’t you dare look back and keep your eyes on the future. Hop out of bed knowing that you still have a lot of fight left in you. You are way up and blessed because you woke up flawless. 

All song puns aside, in 2016 don’t forget to make the ultimate resolution of all by remembering to love the person you are.

Photos/Gifs: 1,2,3,4,5,6

Chloe is double major in political science and legal studies. She is addicted to espressos and tea and her favorite hobbies include sleeping and eating. She also enjoys traveling and pretending she can dance like Beyoncé. Her life motto is "You can catch flies with honey, but you catch more honeys bein fly."
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst