Why It Isn’t Cool to be a Taylor Swift Hater Anymore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Reminiscent of our past 7th grade obsession with the Jonas Brothers, Taylor Swift has recently become one of our favorite artists (something we previously thought we would never openly admit.) To be honest, hating on Taylor Swift used to be one of our favorite high school pastimes, and when we weren’t ridiculing her numerous one month relationships or front bangs, we were immediately changing the station whenever “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together” came on for the hundredth time. Yet now we find ourselves blaring “Blank Space” while pre-gaming with our besties and even downloading her album in full and learning all the lyrics to a majority of the songs. So, naturally we must ask ourselves, what changed?

The origins of our hate for Taylor mainly stemmed from her once very whiny lyrics and lack of self-awareness. We used to go as far as avoiding anyone who we knew to be a fan of her earlier work. However, 1989 was a real game-changer in our book because not only did she become tight with Lorde and Jack Antonoff, and actually started producing some quality sounding music, but more importantly this was the first time in which she acknowledged and responded to the media’s perception of her as a serial-dating whack job. We had to give her mad props for doing that, even if we’re still annoyed that she actually copyrighted the “this sick beat” phrase and her greedy self won’t release any of her albums on Spotify. That being said, she’s also supposedly super generous to her fans and on some level we wish that we were a true hard-core Swifty so that she would follow us on Tumblr and send us presents or maybe pay for our college tuition.

The bottom line remains that you can’t really make fun of Taylor anymore for her horrible dancing skills or short-lived romances, because through the “Shake it Off” and “Blank Space” videos, she successfully satirized herself. You don’t have to necessarily worship the ground that she walks on, but at the end of the day, you’re not fooling anyone if you act like you don’t enjoy a single one her songs.

We’re just glad that we’re out of the age where we mindlessly hated Taylor because we felt it indicated that we weren’t special or intelligent. To hell with that. We love you, T-Swift.

Photo/GIF Sources: 1, 2, 3

A sophomore at Umass majoring in English.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst