Why I Love UMass (Even Though It Wasn’t My First Choice)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.
Let’s face it: when most of us are picking colleges, we have dreams of being accepted into top-notch private schools. For me, my dream schools were Syracuse University and Boston University, and when I was accepted into both, I was convinced that I was going to one of them.

That was when I was forced back into reality: my parents gently informed me how much debt these colleges would accrue over the four years of attendance, and I was heartbroken. I waited to make my decision up until the last week I could, to the point where I could not even mail my acceptance letter because it would not get there in time. I remember the moment when I made my decision, and I finally told my parents, “I’m just going to go to UMass Amherst.” They knew I was not happy about it, and to be honest,  I wasn’t. I never would have imagined that UMass Amherst would become a place I refer to as home.

I was reluctant to go to college in general, and the fact that I wasn’t going to my dream school only reinforced this feeling. For the entire drive up to UMass, I kept saying, “Please turn the car around. I don’t want to be here.” My parents were so sad to see me so unwilling to go to school, but they knew I had to and so did I. For the first few weeks, I was full of negativity. I was quick to criticize anything about the school that I could: the campus was too big, the classrooms were too hot, the dining halls were too crowded. I never thought this negative attitude would go away.

Then, slowly, I started noticing certain positive things about the school. I noticed how the library was like the North Star of campus, and how you could always see it looming above the rest of the buildings. I noticed how, in the fall, the leaves on the trees were beautiful and the grass was green. I noticed that I loved the friends that I had made, and how I had started to fall in love with my dorm. My parents started noticing that I was more and more reluctant to come back home, and they were so relieved.

A lot of people see UMass as a last choice, and a very average public school. I did too, but I urge everybody to see otherwise. And maybe I am biased, but I think coming to UMass is such a great decision to make. Realistically, the less debt you have, the more opportunities you have. I now have the opportunity to look into study abroad, whereas if I went to Syracuse it would not be an option. I feel a lot less pressure on me academically, and that allows me to do my best because I do not have to crack under the pressure.

And the best part about UMass is the people that you will meet. Here, I have met people who got into Ivy Leagues; who could not afford anything else; who barely got into UMass and were thrilled; people who are from California; and lots of people from Massachusetts (which is great for visits over the summer); people who are so unique and have so many different lifestyles.

Back in my town, everybody lived relatively similar lives. And going to a private school would probably generate a lot of the same types of people (do not get me wrong, I think private schools are wonderful, I am just stating an opinion). But at a public school, it’s impossible not to find someone who is both similar and completely different to you, and it’s absolutely wonderful.

I always thought I would regret coming to UMass Amherst, but now I truly believe that it is the smartest, most mature decision I have ever made. It takes a lot of courage to choose what college you go to based on what you are going to have to pay in the future instead of just doing what you want to do and worrying about it later. For those who are worried about being slammed with debt at a private school, I would seriously advise considering public schools (and specifically UMass). I know a lot of people avoid them like the plague, but there is absolutely no shame in coming to a public school. Believe me, I know what it’s like to want that big name, and be able to tell people that I went to a really prestigious school. Yet, I know in the back of my mind that I am much better off here.

Here, I have completely settled and I never want to leave. I love the long walks around campus on warm days. I love going to the Recreation Center and taking gym classes. I love how the towers in Southwest always guide me back. I love how I refer to Pierpont as my home. I love how many clubs UMass offers to all students. I love the food they serve in the dining halls. I love knowing that I found a place, and a home, despite all the problems in the beginning. The struggle has been truly worth it, and I cannot be happier. And that is why I love UMass… even though it wasn’t my first choice.

Andrea Lee is a freshman at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Majoring in Communication, she is planning on pursuing interests in many different fields and taking different classes in order to find what she loves best. Andrea was an editor-in-chief of her high school newspaper, and has loved to write for her whole life. Coming from the small town of Walpole, Andrea was overwhelmed by the large university but has found it to be her new home and loves being on campus.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst