Why Daenerys Targaryen Is Our Bad A** Of The Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Missandei: Valar morghulis.

Daenerys Targaryen: Yes. All men must die, but we are not men.

Daenerys Stormborn Targaryen, Queen of the Andals and Of the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, Khaleesi, Breaker of Chains and the Mother of Dragons. Well, with a title like that, this striking beauty absolutely must be a bada**.

Season four of Game of Thrones has officially kicked off this past April, and our favorite Mother of Dragons has made a massive comeback, conquering and liberating cities across the east. Daenerys is a woman for the people, yet do not think her as fragile, for she can be just as fierce as her fire breathing children. She is more than just a self proclaimed queen, and unlike many of the other major players in HBO’s Game Of Thrones, Daenerys is selfless, wise, and strong. She is a serious threat to the men in power, and to any slave master that crosses her path.

Daenerys is one of TVs strongest female characters, for she flourishes from an overly obedient girl to a fearless and just leader. She does not let men demean or belittle her. She believes that being a woman gives her an advantage over the men pining for her position, for her mind is not cluttered with pride, lust, or violence. Her fearlessness enables her to speak her mind freely, especially against those who believe she is not fit for the throne. She not only talks the talk, but walks the walk after gaining a massive army, and thousands of loyal followers. She is gentle, yet merciless. (We aren’t quite sure how she has mastered this combination, but we would definitely love to know.) She is a role model for women, and it is truly refreshing to see a female character have such a strong positive presence in a successful television series.

Aside from Daenerys’ amazing personality and regal qualities, she has some pretty kicka** hair. Her silvery- blonde textured braids completely make up for her lack of an actual crown. The color of her signature locks is enticing alone, but by adding a few bohemian-meets-princess braids in, Daenerys creates a truly enchanting look. Even if you are unfamiliar with the character, it is worth taking a peek at her different hairstyles for a large dose of inspiration. Trust me when I tell you that you will instantly become obsessed with her ethereal locks.

Another beauty lesson we can all learn from Daenerys is the power in eyebrows…(yes, eyebrows). Her thick brows are much darker than her powdery blonde hair, however they frame her face very well and draw your attention straight to her eyes. Whether it’s because she is busy conquering the Eastern lands, (or is it because she lives in a Medieval legend?) she has little to no time for makeup, nor does she always have the tools to pamper herself. The trick to her natural beauty lies with her eyebrows, so for days when you don’t have the time for a full makeup routine, substitute your eyeliner and shadow for a mascara and brow liner.

Lastly, I’d like to pay tribute to the Khaleesi’s killer sense of style. Her goddess/warrior attire ranges from dreamy gowns to sculptural tunics and cargo-like pants. The color palette of her garments are neutral tones, and royal blues (fitting for the one true Queen). The neutral tones include beige tones, very light purples, and creams, which flaunt her fair skin, rather than wash her out. In addition to the fabulous design of the garments, the shape and the way they drape on her body accentuate her curves to make her look even more goddess-like. Also, it is important to note the natural fabrics and textures used throughout her wardrobe, as in leather braided straps, or draped small chains, which add an entirely unique dynamic to her simplistic ensembles.

Daenerys Targaryen has gained a long list of titles, thousands of followers, a monumental army, and three dragons, of course! I don’t foresee any freakish Red Wedding accidents in her near future, and as long as Daenerys is alive and well, there shall be an increased hope for the people of Westeros. Whether you are a follower of the show, or just a curious reader, you can all agree that Dany is the light amongst the darkness, a serious role model for women, and one bada** character.

Never underestimate your powers as a woman, Collegiettes.

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.
Patricia Camerota

U Mass Amherst

Patricia is a Sophomore Communications Major at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Patricia has a strong passion for writing, eating, painting, and playing with her dog. She wishes to pursue a career in Public Relations.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst