person taking photo of pants and shoes
person taking photo of pants and shoes
SHTTEFAN/Unsplash

Why Be a Brand Ambassador? Marketing, Money, and More

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

It all started with a little ad on Facebook which read, “Do you want to be a brand ambassador for a company that has a great mission?” I saw it and immediately knew the answer was yes. 

That advertisement was for Sand Cloud, a brand that sells towels and apparel and donates 10 percent of its proceeds to marine life protection. The company was on the show Shark Tank in 2013, and sales have skyrocketed since then.

I supported their cause to “#savethefishies” wholeheartedly, so I filled out an application to become an ambassador. They got back to me very quickly, with my own personal discount code to share with my followers. It even included a discount code of greater value for myself which applied to anything on the site (I immediately bought a shirt).

When I started to wear the shirt around, I received so many compliments and inquiries about the brand. I was so passionate and excited to be a part of a company that makes such a difference. Being a rep even inspired me to start volunteering at the New England Aquarium, participate in beach cleanups, and other events.

Sand Cloud pays their Ambassadors through a point system: When you buy their products, get people to use your discount code, or share the brand on social media, you get points. These points can be used to purchase Sand Cloud accessories.

Once I posted a few pictures and established myself as a Sand Cloud Brand Ambassador, I started to get representation offers from other brands, like Tree Lyfe.

Tree Lyfe sells bracelets; with every bracelet sold, a tree is planted. I loved their mission as well, so I decided to join them as a Tree Lyfe “Big Sister”, the title used for their ambassadors. Tree Lyfe pays their employees through a program called Refersion. Every time someone uses your discount code, you get paid a percentage of the sale through Paypal and Refersion. Pura Vida, another brand that I represent, also uses Refersion.

Why Become A Brand Ambassador?

Aside from the awesome discounts, being a brand ambassador is also a great addition to any resume or LinkedIn profile. It is a form of social media marketing, which is a rapidly rising business. Additionally, it will increase your social media presence: if your photos are good enough, often the brands—which have thousands of followers—will repost your photos and tag you in them. This helps to put your photography and social media handle out there, which will lure other brands (and followers) to your account.

How Do I Become a Brand Ambassador?

You can easily become a brand ambassador and social media influencer— there are so many brands which are actively looking for reps to show off their merchandise. Here are a few that you can apply to now!

Sand Cloud: As previously mentioned, Sand Cloud donates 10 percent of their proceeds to saving marine life. The application process is easy, and they accept basically everyone. Additionally, it’s a great starting point if you want to become a social media influencer. Apply to become a brand ambassador here. 

Tree Lyfe: For each bracelet sold, Tree Lyfe plants a tree. They recently made their application public and are looking for “Big Sisters and Brothers” to join their team! Apply to become a brand ambassador here

Pura Vida: Pura Vida makes bracelets, other jewelry, and accessories which support artisans all over the world. The company also support some pretty amazing charities with their proceeds. While they have an open application, it may take a bit for them to get back to you with your discount code because they receive so many applications due to their popularity. Apply to become a brand ambassador here.  

Serengetee: Serengetee sells apparel and accessories that support artisans and causes around the world. However, their Brand Rep program is a little different—you will only be a Rep for a semester, and they only choose a select few. Luckily, it’s still very rewarding, and includes free products, discounts, fun competitions and a chance to win a trip to Guatemala! Apply to become a brand ambassador here

Header Image: 1 (Unsplash)

All other images courtesy of the author

Larissa Boyack

U Mass Amherst '20

Larissa Boyack is a senior at the University of Massachusetts - Amherst, majoring in Hospitality and Tourism Management. She hopes to combine her love of travelling and writing and eventually become a travel writer. As well as writing, she also enjoys acting, photography, and graphic design. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter: @larissaboyack  
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst