This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Have you ever heard of UWiL? Neither have a lot of people. As the first class of UMass Women into Leadership, or UWiL, not much is known about the program or the women involved. UWiL is a series of annual, hands-on workshops that are coordinated by the Social and Behavioral Sciences College’s Department of Political Science here at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst. Out of almost 100 applicants, only 30 were chosen to participate in the program. The women involved in the pilot class of UMass Women into Leadership come from all walks of life: they are majors in legal studies, political science, math, public health, and even study astrobiology! It is for anyone woman who has an interest in public service. Whether it’s an interest in International Relations or Education, UWiL aspires to create the next generation of women leaders. The program curriculum consists of three central components.

First, the program strives to raise consciousness around the existence and causes of gender inequalities in the public service. This program requires weekly readings of articles specifically tailored to this awareness. Income inequality, representation in government, and willingness to run for elected office are all topics covered under this program. These women, through this program, are becoming aware of the conditions that women have been raised with which has resulted in them being less open to running for office. School, home, and social conditions have caused women to not think of themselves as qualified to participate in leadership roles.

Second, this program includes leadership training to prepare women to enter public service careers. Various workshops are given gradually throughout the semester to learn and gain experience from successful women and men. Networking skills is one of these workshops that helps to practice walking into a room full of strangers and making connections out of it. Sometimes we go to these workshops so we can meet potential employers and gain knowledge in our job field, but it can become awkward when we don’t know how to start or end the conversation. UWiL workshops aims to help women become more confident about their skills and qualifications as a potential leader. Other hands-on workshops include public speaking, salary negotiations, and scholarship opportunities.

Lastly, UWiL mentoring and networking programs help launch successful careers. Now, networking skills learned through the workshops are put into full on practice mode. In the beginning of March, the students of UMass Women into Leadership attended a three day conference. This also just happened to be the weekend of the Kesha concert and Blarney Blowout. While others on campus were partying, these women were meeting with state senators and representatives, local public officials, journalists, lobbyists, and other state employees. The students were able to hear some of the personal stories of how these leaders got to where they are in their career path as well as advice on how to best achieve their future goals.

Not only have these women gained professional skills and experiences through the UMass Women into Leadership program, but they have also made great friendships with each other. Sometimes, it is hard to find other people at UMass who have the same interests and aspirations as you because the school is so massive. But through UWiL, the students have been able to relate to one another and help each other with their paths to success.

If you are a woman who is looking to make a difference in the world through public service and leadership, check out the program! More information can be found here

Photos courtesy of Ben Bernhardt 

Heather Ducharme

U Mass Amherst

Hey everyone, I'm Heather! I am currently a Junior at UMass Amherst with a double major in legal studies and political science. During the Spring 2014 semester, I studied abroad in Florence and had the most incredible experience traveling and absorbing the Italian culture. I am currently a UMass Women into Leadership fellow which is a competitive program designed to prepare young women interested in public service for their careers after UMass. My passions include dance, traveling, tea, reading, and writing. I am also a huge advocate for women's issues as well as eating disorders and mental health. This is my second semester with Her Campus.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst