This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Before leaving for college, family and friends try to give you advice and prepare you for the next four years of your life. They say things like, “Make sure you do your homework!” or “Go to every class! Don’t skip!” or  “Don’t drink the punch!” As much as you can take the advice, it is really up to you to find your way. This involves figuring out things inside and outside the classroom. Although we do go to college to get an education, I found that I learned just as much, if not more, outside the classroom. As I reflect on my past four years at UMass and get ready to graduate next month, here are the most valuable things I learned in college out of class:

How to make friends. My friends from home have been my best friends since middle school, some since elementary school. None of us chose to go to the same college.  In the end, it was great because it forced me to do something I hadn’t had to do in a while: make friends. There is no “How to Make Friends 101” in college so I had to figure out how to do this again. I know it sounds crazy, but it made me more open and accepting to others after learning how to do this again.

Time management. While living at home, you have constant supervision asking you how much homework you have, if you have done it and how studying you have done. There is none of that in college. You are forced to figure out how to manage all your classes, getting the work done in time and when to spend time with your friends. I’m still not perfect at time management, but I do know that I am much better. I know this still will help me in the future.

How to cook. Moving off campus means buying groceries and feeding yourself. A kitchen can seem kind of scary at first but eggs, cereal, grilled cheese and ramen are super easy to make. The more you cook, the more fun it gets. Food shopping becomes interesting. And when you make something delicious for the first time, you feel great! My recommendation: use food blogs to get some ideas on what to cook. These are some of the ones I like:

It’s okay to be alone. In college, people always want to hang out and have fun. It’s normal if you want to be alone every once in a while. Being constantly surrounded by people can get exhausting and you do need time to sit down, binge watch some Netflix and be alone. No one will judge you if you want to stay in on a Friday.

Take risks. Go someplace new in town, try something different in the dining hall, or go abroad. Do something you can only do in college and have no regrets about it. I guarantee the risk will be worth the reward.

Take a personal day. Every once in a while, it is perfectly fine to take a day to yourself. You deserve it. Skip class, get your nails done or reward yourself with new clothes. You come first before anything else.

Call your family. I know it’s easier to just text a quick “Hey Mom, I’m alive!” but they appreciate a call so much more. Pick up the phone, call your family and tell them what’s going on in your life. Be open – they really want to hear what is going on. They aren’t there to judge you on anything, but give you the best opinion and advice. And most importantly, tell them you love them and thank them for being able to send you to the best school.

What have you learned outside the classroom, Collegiettes? 

Photos: Cover 1 2 3 4 5 6

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst