photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

What Defines a Wingwoman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

We always hear talk about guys going out and having their wingman by their side when they’re trying to impress women. Socially, we associate wingmen as helping these guys “get laid”.  So instead of a wingman, what about having a wingwoman?

Gender roles can clearly be seen differentiating the two and the role the wingperson plays in helping their friend have a good night. Narrowing it down, we can see how women are more nurturing and more concerned with security and reasoning purposes when they’re out on the town with friends.

1. Be on the lookout for creeps.

There are always those creepy guys that you want to stay away from, but somehow they always find their way to you. Your friend may be stuck in a conversation with someone she’s clearly not interested in. Step in and give her a way out, through either faking an emergency, giving her a fake name, or doing anything else you think is appropriate. Just distract him and get her out of there! You could even make a secret signal or phrase beforehand so then you’ll both know its time to go.

2. Hold on to her. 

Sometimes our friends may get a little too intoxicated and it’s pretty noticeable. So make sure to hold on to her, link arms, hold hands, but whatever you do don’t let her stumble and fall while you’re around. If either person needs to go to the bathroom don’t go alone, be bathroom buddies, everyone’s safer in pairs.

3. Never leave drinks unattended.

If you’re going out to a bar, you should never leave your drink unattended. If you’re sober or a little less buzzed, make sure to watch her drinks and remind her to never put it down. Even if she needs touch up her lipstick, offer to hold her drink while she reapplies. 

4. Help her catch the good ones.

Steer her in the right direction. Despite there being many creeps at bars, there are also some dudes who would be a good catch for the girl you’re with. Observe his interactions with people and how he carries himself. If you both approve, give her the go-ahead but don’t stray too far, she may still need you.

Photos: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst