We Need to Stand With Planned Parenthood More Than Ever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

In the wake of the 2016 presidential election, many are left feeling uncertain about what a Trump presidency will mean for women’s reproductive rights. Both Donald Trump and his running mate, Mike Pence, have been vocal opponents of abortion, vowing to overturn the 1973 Roe v. Wade decision.

Pence has also been campaigning to strip Planned Parenthood, a nonprofit organization that provides reproductive health services, of all government funding. In the past, anti-abortion legislation was unlikely to be passed at a federal level because there were enough Democratic leaders to oppose such bills.

Now, however, Republicans not only control the presidency, but also the House of Representatives and the Senate. Trump has also made it clear that he plans to appoint conservative judges to the Supreme Court. A Republican majority in the House, Senate, and Supreme Court give the Trump administration as much control over passing legislation as possible.

This year, President Obama took steps to protect access to care at Planned Parenthood health centers, but his proposal is not permanent, and the new administration could undo it. In response to Obama’s proposal, Speaker of the House Paul Ryan told reporters that when Trump enters the oval office, Congress plans to pass another piece of legislation to defund Planned Parenthood, stating, “Our position has not changed.”

It is important to remember, however, that you have the power to use our voice to advocate for reproductive rights. If you are feeling outraged, devastated, and scared for the future of Planned Parenthood, here are five things you can do right now.

1. Donate to Planned Parenthood.

Planned Parenthood health centers are open, and they are continuing to deliver vital reproductive health care — like birth control, cancer screenings, and STI testing and treatment. Donate to Planned Parenthood health centers here.

The Planned Parenthood action fund helps fight political attacks and strengthen advocacy for reproductive health and rights — like access to sex education, safe, legal abortion and health care at Planned Parenthood health centers. Donate to the Planned Parenthood action fund here.

In recent weeks, many are expressing support for Planned Parenthood by donating in Mike Pence’s name.

2. Show solidarity with intersecting communities.

Many of the groups that the Trump-Pence administration have targeted, such as immigrants, Muslisms and the LGBTQ community, are Planned Parenthood patients. Whether it’s online or in real life, you can voice your rejection of Trump’s hateful rhetoric and show that you believe that patient’s from all walks of life deserve access to health care in a safe and welcoming environment.

Here are a few of the groups that support solidarity in intersecting communities:

3. Volunteer your time.

There are multiple ways you can donate your time and energy to support women’s reproductive health.

4. Express support on social media with #WeWontGoBack

Through Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram, you can voice your defiance using #WeWontGoBack to show that you refuse to let the next U.S. president take back your rights that women have fought so hard to secure.

5. Sign up for emails and texts.

To stay on top of the issues, join Planned Parenthood’s email network. The email alerts will also help you with learning how to get involved with campaigns that advocate for reproductive health.

To receive text alerts from Planned Parenthood, text “WeWontGoBack” to 69866 to join our Planned Parenthood Action mobile network. Standard data and text rates may apply. You can text STOP to quit at anytime.

Images/GIFs: 12345

Julia Gordy

U Mass Amherst '19

Julia is a senior at the Isenberg School of Management at University of Massachusetts, Amherst. She is pursuing a major in marketing with a strong focus on advertising. Some of her favorite things include photography, filmmaking, and long yoga sessions followed by even longer naps. Find her on Twitter and Instagram @juliagordy!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst