Walking to Class in UMass Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

What’s the forecast for the week? Here in New England we experience everything from 90 degree weather to below freezing. It’s no exaggeration to say we have to be prepared for everything…. especially when we have to brave the weather to walk all the way across campus for a class.  From sunny days, to downpours, high wind speeds, and snow, you name it, we face it at UMass

Sunny: The couple of weeks following move in day, the weather was consistently in the 90’s and sunny. Yes, that’s ideal beach weather and maybe you’ll even go to Puffer’s Pond after class, but when you’re rushing to a class that’s on the other side of campus, it’s not so fun. We show up to class like this:

And then you have to walk back to your non-air conditioned coom and try to stay cool with your one box fan.

Rainy: When it rains at UMass, it pours. Hundreds of giant puddles form everywhere making your trek to class somewhat treacherous.  You pull on your Hunter rain boots and zip up your rain coat, grab your umbrella and head out the door.  What seemed like a light drizzle actually feels like this:

You open your umbrella and feel instantly safe.

Until the wind picks up.

Now the rain is hitting you from all different angles and trying to keep the umbrella from flipping inside out is a struggle.

Then we have a couple of weeks of perfect fall weather where we’re able to pull out those nice snuggly sweaters and pair them with our riding boots.  We try to cherish this weather by stuffing ourselves full with pumpkin spice lattes, cider donuts, and endless landscape photos of the changing leaves. But we all know what is right around the corner…

All of a sudden, temperatures drop to freezing and the first snowfall is here.  

Time to pull out that winter coat!

But despite having on countless layers, we’re always cold and we always see that one kid who’s still wearing flip flops like…

If only walking to class could be this fun

It’s actually more like this especially if you’re up early on a snowy day.

And we have to watch out for those “falling snow piles” signs on buildings. 

We hope you came prepared Collegiettes! We wish you safe ventures to class!

Photo Credit: 1/ 2/ 3/ 4/ 5/ 6/ 7/ 8/ 9/ 10/ 11/ 12/ 13/14

Jessica Chien

U Mass Amherst

Jessica is currently a Sophomore at UMass Amherst. She is a studio arts major who enjoys drawing, drinking coffee and having dance parties in her dorm room. She doesn't like to be rushed when it comes to eating and she listens to her favorite song on repeat when she's walking to class.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst