UMass Must Haves: College Rain Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

UMass is infamous for having beautiful sunny weather one moment and a torrential down pour the next. I can’t even count the times I have had to run through what felt like a monsoon, as my outfit became soaked and I became miserable. As fun as smelling like a wet dog in class is, there are ways to prevent having to sit through a lecture in pure agony. In that rare moment when iPhone weather is actually accurate, here are some awesome rain accessories that not only keep you warm and dry, but also help you stay stylish and cute despite the very ugly weather.

Rain Boots

Everyone needs a good pair of rain boots in college. Although on the expensive side, Hunter rain boots are not only waterproof and keep your feet warm in the cold weather and snow, but also look polished. There are various heights, styles and colors to choose from, with prices ranging from $100 to $250. Hunter also sells socks that warm your toes, while peeking out of the top of the boot to complete a look. Bad weather is not the only time you can wear Hunters, theese boots add to any outfit rain or shine. They are sold at most major department stores.

Rain Jackets

For walking around campus I believe in wearing a durable coat, that keeps you dry and warm. The North Face makes really cute jackets that come in multiple styles and colors. All the styles are classy and come with a hood that has adjustable straps so that you can tighten it in case of a windy day. Prices range from $90 to $200, and they even sell a trench coat version if you want to go for a more traditional look rather than a sporty one. North Face jackets can be found at major department stores and sport equipment stores.

Umbrellas

An umbrella is the only rain accessory that you can easily always have with you in case of that crazy Amherst weather. Umbrellas don’t have to be ugly or boring. Ella Umbrella has various umbrellas, from classic black to ornately decorated ones. Prices range from $1 to over $100, with a price and style for everyone!

Good luck beating the New England weather, collegiettes!

Molly Dickman

U Mass Amherst