This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

It seems like there are a lot of awesome movies coming out this fall, and these certainly aren’t all of them. However, I’ve picked out the ones that seem to have the most buzz surrounding them. If there’s a movie you’re excited for that’s not on the list, please share it in the comments! 

The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby: Them (September 12)

Starring: James McAvoy, Jessica Chastain, Viola Davis

Summary: A young married couple, Connor Ludlow (McAvoy) and Eleanor Rigby (Chastain), struggle to keep their marriage together after a life-changing event. The movie was originally two separate films, screened at the Toronto film festival, Him, and Her. Him told the story from Connor’s point of view, and Her, from Eleanor’s. Them weaves the two together.

Why You Should See It: The movie won a prestigious award at the Cannes Film Festival, which is a pretty big deal in the movie industry. It’s also been receiving great reviews, and is supposed to be quite heart-wrenching. 

The Drop (September 12)

Starring: Tom Hardy, Noomi Rapace, James Gandolfini

Summary: In this crime drama, Bob (Hardy), a lonely bartender, becomes part of a scheme to funnel cash to the local gangsters in Brooklyn. When Bob becomes entangled in a robbery gone wrong, it leads to an investigation of the neighborhood’s past.

Why You Should See It: It’s James Gandolfini’s last film, and he’s alongside Tom Hardy (I mean, who doesn’t love Tom Hardy?). Also, the writer of the screenplay is Dennis Lehane, who, if you haven’t heard of him (it’s okay, I hadn’t before either), is known for being a great crime fiction author.

The Skeleton Twins (September 12)

Starring: Kristin Wiig, Bill Hayder

Summary: After two estranged twins (Wiig and Hayder) both cheat death on the same day, they are reunited. While they both try to figure out how their lives went so wrong, they begin repairing their relationship.

Why You Should See It: Wiig and Hayder are both great, and the film debuted at the Sundance film festival with great reviews. Also, Ty Burell (from Modern Family) guest stars.

This Is Where I Leave You (September 19)

Starring: Jason Bateman, Tina Fey, Jane Fonda, Adam Driver, Corey Stall

Summary: Four grown siblings and their significant others are forced to live together in their childhood home when their father passes away.

Why You Should See It: Look at the cast list! It’s got a lot of talent, and a lot of comedy (though the movie is described as comedy-drama). It’s bound to have a lot of awesome heartfelt family moments. 

Gone Girl (October 3)

Starring: Ben Affleck, Rosamund Pike, Neil Patrick Harris

Summary: Based on the novel of the same name, this movie is about a man (Affleck) whose wife disappears. When he becomes suspected of murdering her, the media puts him in the spotlight.

Why You Should See It: It’s thrilling and intense, and deals with issues and secrets in marriages, as well the results of a media-centered world. If that’s not enough, it’s got Ben Affleck and Neil Patrick Harris.

Whiplash (October 16)

Starring: Miles Teller, JK Simmons, Melissa Benoist

Summary: A young, ambitious musician (Teller) attends a prestigious music school and works with a ruthless instructor (Simmons), in the hopes of becoming a top jazz drummer.

Why You Should See It: It was a MAJOR hit at the Sundance Film Festival, and both Teller and Simmons could very well be nominated for Oscars.

Birdman (October 17)

Starring: Michael Keaton, Zach Galifiankis, Ed Norton

Summary: In this dark comedy, a washed-up actor (Keaton) famous for playing an iconic superhero attempts to revive his career by writing, directing and starring in a Broadway play.

Why You Should See It: The trailer to this dark comedy is quite intriguing, plus it’s got a great cast, and Emma Stone guest stars. 

Interstellar (November 7)

Starring: Anne Hathaway, Matthew McConaughey, Jessica Chastain

Summary: A group of explorers and scientists discover, and go through a wormhole in outer space. (Just so you know, a wormhole is a tunnel, or “shortcut” in space time – according to Wikipedia.)

Why You Should See It: It’s got a great cast, it’s already generating some Oscar buzz, and whole concept is pretty damn cool. Also, the trailer looks good, and it’s directed by Christopher Nolan.

The Theory of Everything (November 7)

Starring: Felicity Jones, Eddie Redmayne

Summary: The movie tells the story of Steven Hawking (Redmayne) and his wife, Jane (Jones). It picks up from when they met at Cambridge University and goes on to deal with their relationship, his success in physics, and battle with disease.

Why You Should See It: Well, I know I’m going to see it because the first time I saw the trailer, I started to tear up. I don’t think you have to be a science fiction fan or a physics fan, or even have read Stephen Hawking’s books, to see that this movie sends a powerful message about beating the odds.

Mockingjay – Part 1 (November 21)

Starring: Jennifer Lawerence, Josh Hutchinson, Liam Hemsworth

Summary: Do I really need to give a summary for this one? But as a reminder, at the end of Catching Fire, Katniss literally shatters the Games, and then gets transported to District 13. The rebellion has now gotten fired up in Panem, and they’re looking for Katniss to lead them.

Why You Should See It: If you’ve seen the other Hunger Games movies, I don’t think I need to explain this. If you haven’t seen them, but have the read the books, then just look at the actors to answer this question. And if you haven’t even read the books, then you should read them before seeing the movie. They have action and romance, and Katniss is one tough chick.

Are there any other movies you would add to the list, Collegiettes?

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4

Irina Kovari

U Mass Amherst

I'm a senior marketing major at UMass, with a passion for writing and equal rights. I'm on MASSPIRG at UMass, drink too much caffeine, and eat too much chocolate.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst