This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

The haters gonna hate, hate, hate? Apparently Swift doesn’t have many haters when it comes to her latest album, 1989. It’s definitely the hottest album in the country right now. 1989’s first week sales were 1.2 million. YES, that is the most sales of any album that came out this year!  

Taylor’s fifth album is a glammed-up pop album that clearly shows Taylor shook off every bit of country in her. Swift ditched her country roots for more pop and mainstream music. The opening song, “Welcome to New York” in a way sums up the transition she made. In “Welcome to New York” Swift sings, “It’s a new soundtrack I could dance to this beat forevermore. The lights are so bright, but they never blind me”. 

Of course it wouldn’t be a Taylor Swift album if she didn’t sing about LOVE and all those ex-boyfriends of hers. 10 of the 13 songs on the album are about love in some way or another. The catchiest songs on the album about love are “How You Get the Girl,” “Style,” and “I Wish You Would.” Lyrics like, “You’ve got that James Dean day dream look in your eye” and “ I want you for worse or for better, I would wait forever and ever” will be caught in your head all day long.  Of course, Taylor includes a few love ballads in the mix. “This Love,” and “Clean” with lyrics like, “You’re still all over me like a wine-stained dress I can’t wear anymore” show a more melancholy side.

As always, Taylor does not shy away from calling out the boys that have broke her heart. She calls and solely blames the guy in “All You Had to do Was Stay” when she says,“I’ve been picking up the pieces of the mess you made.” She shows off her bad girl side in “Blank Space” where she sings about going for a guy who she already knows is no good. However, her biggest dagger doesn’t even go to a guy; “Bad Blood” is about an ex-female friend. The rumor is that it’s aimed at frenemy Katy Perry. 

Taylor Swift made a huge transformation and killed it. Are you surprised? This is Taylor Swift and we expect nothing else. Swift will be going on tour in the US starting in May. The 1989 world tour is sure the hottest summer concert.

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4

Cecilia Hennessy

U Mass Amherst

My name is Cecilia Hennessy and I am the President of the Her Campus chapter at UMass Amherst. I am a senior Communications and Journalism major with a concentration in Broadcast Journalism. In my free time I enjoy running, taking photos, traveling and catching up on the latest news!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst