Surviving Tough Breakups

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Breakups. They’re clearly the worst part of any relationship. Whether you’ve been dumped, done the dumping or it was mutual the reality of a relationship ending sucks. They leave us feeling sorry for selves and wanting to curl up in our beds, in the dark forever. Tears are acceptable, but at some point you need to pick up the pieces, realize you deserve better and move on. Here is a list of things you need to do post breakup.

1) Get it out: Vent, cry, obsess about it. Your allotted 1 day, Just one to eat some ice cream, watch The Notebook, listen to Adele, and get it out. And get it all out because once the day is over your going to need to start moving forward and on.

2) Delete him: From your phone, facebook, twitter and whatever other social networks you’re on. Checking to see where he is, what he’s doing, and who he’s hanging out with is only going to make you feel worse. The quicker you allow yourself to focus on you and only you, the sooner you will be able to move on.

3) Make a change in your appearance: Remember when Miley Cyrus dyed her hair dark after her break up with Nick Jonas?  Think along the lines of that. It of course, doesn’t have to be SO drastic but a little (or big!) change will help you feel like a new person. Trim your hair, get highlights, get your second holes in your ears pierced, or even get a manicure and pedicure. Any change big or small will help.

4) Gym Time: Get sweaty, we all know exercise releases endorphins and working out will help you feel better about yourself too! Sitting on the couch moping isn’t going to benefit you in anyway what so ever. Going to the gym will keep you occupied, feeling healthy and fit and most of all happy.

5)Update your ipod: Think Kelly Clarkson Stronger, and Katy Perry Part of Me. Add empowering female songs to a new playlist to make you feel like you can take on the world. If you’re having a rough day, turn up your music and you’ll feel better in no time.

6) Go shopping: Don’t go nuts and spend your entire paycheck at the mall, but go out and buy yourself an outfit that will make you feel confident and sexy. Isaac Bashevis Singer said “What a strange power there is in clothing” and I could not agree more. An amazing outfit can change your mood in more ways than one.

Remember, a break up is no reason to put your life on hold. While you may be hurt, it’s the beginning of a brand new part of your life. Focus on yourself and doing everything you’ve ever wanted to.

Image Credit: Getty Images

Deirdre Cusack

U Mass Amherst

I am a senior Communication and English major at the University of Massachusetts. I love music, food, dancing, my friends and family not in that particular order but preferably at the same time. I am an avid reader and have always had a passion for writing. I have an incurable addiction to iced coffee, popcorn, Boston sports and anything that sparkles. I hope to one day live in New York City and pursue a career at Cosmo.