This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

It may finally be spring, but this is a season of protests. Last week, the National School Walkout hinted at what was to come. This was merely one of three national protests over gun violence. And gun violence is only one of the countless hot topics that are headlining news circuits across the nation. As thousands across the country are increasingly become invested in expressing their rights through the act of protesting, maybe now is your time too. If you don’t know where to start or if you’re a seasoned pro, here are the essentials to bring to your next protest so you don’t get left in the cold! 

1. Poster

Simple as it may sound, creating a poster takes time and creativity. As collegiettes, with our busy schedules, we all lack time. To simplify your process, a Pinterest search can go a long way. It allows you to mimic others styles while also adding your own unique twist. To streamline the process even further consider buying stencils or stickers that will make your poster to stand out.

2. Layers

Protests often start early in the morning and last late into the afternoon. To ensure your comfort throughout the day, dress in layers to accommodate the changing climate. There is nothing worse than having heat radiate off of you or having the cold penetrate your core when you’re acting selflessly by participating in a peaceful protest.

3. Comfortable Shoes

Likewise, whether you are marching through the heart of Washington D.C. or your neighbouring city, you will be on your feet all day long. Wearing comfortable shoes is a must in order to prevent your day of inspiration from turning into one of misery. If you don’t already have a go-to pair, check out these cheap and comfortable ones here.

4. Snacks and Water

Keep your stamina going by keeping healthy snacks by your side. Bringing your own snacks and a refillable water bottle will also help you avoid spending your precious dollars. I recommend small but nutritious snacks in order to get the most energy out of each bite. Great examples include protein bars, fresh fruit, or even a sandwich.

5. Portable Phone Charger

Protests are trending across all social media platforms. And I’m sure many of you will jump on the social media bandwagon and share your protest experience to all of your followers. Additionally, protests can be chaotic. Even if you are laser-focused, it’s possible to lose a member of your group or forget where you parked the car. In the midst of all this, the last thing you want is for your phone to die on you. Therefore, a portable charger can act as your saviour. Though they vary in price and size, for a protest you may want to consider purchasing this, small yet mighty, one here.

Now that you have all your essentials laid out in front of you for your next protest, you are ready to go make a stand in order to ensure that your fundamental rights are protected. Let this guide act as a foundation to which you can build upon to make the most of your protest. Don’t let anything or anyone get in your way of protesting for a better future for generations to come.  

Images: 1, 2, 3

Sarah Cotton

U Mass Amherst

class of 2021 at UMass Amherst Vail, CO
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst