mink mingle AlEyuIKuSmc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mink mingle AlEyuIKuSmc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Summer Fun Is Almost Here: Trips To The Cape

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

For all of the Collegiettes that feel this academic year has passed by really quickly, you’re not alone! This year feels like time flew, and it feels hard to believe summer break is coming up fast. With finals ending right around the corner (last day May 8th), one of my personal favorite things to look forward to during the summer are day trips to the Cape. For those who have the opportunity to go to the Cape this summer, here are some fun spots to travel to!

My picture from Chatham beach summer 2013

First off, getting to the Cape…

To get to the Cape, there’s only 2 bridges that will get you there (the Bourne and Sagamore bridge). One thing I like to do during the summer, since you have to cross the canal anyway, is stop and see the canal a bit closer. I’ll park by the railroad bridge and either walk or bike to the Bourne bridge (approximately 1.25 miles), and then back. This is great exercise and a fun way to watch the boats going down the canal, see the native birds, or even meet people.

Chatham

One of my personal favorite things to do in Chatham is seeing the wild seals.  I usually start my Chatham trip at the Chatham lighthouse and walk along the beach for a while. If you look carefully, you can normally see the seals’ heads bobbing in the water. I will then drive down the road to the fisherman’s pier. Here is where the fishermen bring their boats in and seals are guaranteed to be there (pictured above is my picture from summer 2013 of the seals of Chatham). Often fishermen will feed leftovers to the seals which always gives a great show, as the seals will jump and fight over the fish. Chatham has been known for great white sharks the past couple years, however, so watch out!

Dennis

In Dennis, Cape Cod, the beaches, with their gorgeous white sand and generally clear waters, are a must-see! My personal two favorite beaches are Mayflower Beach and Chapin Memorial beach, which are both a short drive between one another. One thing that makes these beaches a lot of fun is the tides coming in or going out because many different sand bars are created from the changing tides. I’d recommend staying for the sunset as the sun sets over the water (like my picture seen above, from summer 2012!). 

P-Town

At the very end of the Cape, taking just under an hour and half from the Canal bridges to get to, is Provincetown. The drive is so worth it t! P-Town is known for the art galleries, beaches, tourist destinations and equal love. My favorite part of P-Town is walking the streets of the shops and galleries. I personally enjoy looking at the different art galleries and later walking along the beaches. The Pilgrim Monument can be climbed to the top and has gorgeous views all around.

Whale Watch

Many don’t know that in Massachusetts, whales reside not too far off the shore. There are many places that you can catch a boat ride to Stellwagen Bay to whale watch, and pictured above is my photo of a humpback whale from Captain John Whale Watching out of Plymouth last summer, 2013. Three other suggestions to catch a whale watch are P-town, Barnstable, and Sandwich.

Enjoy the Cape and have a fun summer, Collegiettes!

*All photos that are not credited to author are courtesy of Google.

Emily Jette

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst