This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Although the air still has a little chill to it some days and there’s still snow on the ground, spring is here. This means it is time to start spring cleaning. Spring break has passed and you look around at your mess of a closet, chaotic to-do list and overflowing trash can, and you realize it is time to start taking control of the mess. Spring cleaning is not only a good time to get rid of that shirt you haven’t worn all semester, but it also a great opportunity to rid yourself of the clutter in your life.

1. Your room

It is not easy to always have your small dorm room in mint condition, but it is essential to take some time to deep-clean the clutter. Go through your clothes and make three piles: keep, throw away or donate. It is also important to have a clean working area, so organize your desk and throw away needless papers. Also, take this time to vacuum and dust your room. You would be surprised to see the amount of filth that you will pick up. Meanwhile, you should look through your refrigerator to see if there is anything that should be thrown away. Overall, cleaning your room will make yourself feel cleaner because you are living in a clean environment.

2. Your phone

I realized recently that I only communicate with about a third of my contacts in my phone. The rest of them just sit there taking up space on my phone; I didn’t even really know who a majority of them were. I took that as a sign that it was time to clean up my phone. I first went through my contacts, deleting the numbers of the girl from high school that I did a project with once or the kid from last semester that I met one night and then never talked to again. Then, I went through all my pictures, deleting an absurd amount of the pictures that were completely unnecessary like the screenshot of the text my friend sent six months ago. Finally, I went through my email, deleting or reading them, so I finally had space again..

3. Your look

Now that your closet is cleared of all of your excessive clothing, you can go shop for a few more items to replenish your closet. You can use this as a chance to update your style and buy fun spring clothing. Spring is also a perfect time to get a fresh haircut and make a trip to the spa since the dry winter air can be harsh to your hair and skin.

4. Your diet

In the winter, it is easy to give in to the comfort food available at the dining halls. It’s so warm and greasy compared the cold, stark air outside. Now that the air is starting the warm up, kick the comfort food to the curb. Of course, it is okay to have sometimes, but start spring right by adding fresh fruits and vegetables to your meals; it’ll give you more energy and make you feel better. 

5. The negative energy

Sometimes it is hard to take a step back and look critically at the people you are surrounding yourself with. If there are people that are constantly bringing stress and negative vibes into your life, it might be time to purge them from your life. Although, it will be difficult, it will make you happier in the long run. It will also allow you to make new friends, hopefully ones that bring positivity and joy to your life because like negative energy, positive energy is contagious

Photos: Header/1/2/3/4/5

An accounting major at the Univeristy of Massachusetts Amherst, Isenberg School of Management who loves mac n' cheese, dancing, and making people smile.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst