Spring Clean Your Wardrobe the Sustainable Way!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Warm weather is finally here in Amherst, and women everywhere are boxing up their winter sweaters and breaking out the skirts and tees.  During this seasonal transition period, many people are inspired to do some spring-cleaning to get rid of garments that they no longer favor. 

Rather than tossing those threads in the trash,
consider recycling them!

I’m sure we’ve all been to the Hadley Good Will or Salvation Army at some point during our time at UMass. Bag or box the clothing you have moved on from and donate it to one of these reputable organizations.
The profits they make from the resale of your olds duds go to beneficial programs like job training seminars and adult rehab programs. Your closet clutter can make a big difference to those less fortunate!

There is a growing trend toward upscale thrift and consignment stores as well.  Operations like Plato’s Closet are a great way to get quality clothing at a discounted rate. You know what they say; one man’s trash is another man’s treasure.

If you feel that the clothing you are disposing of isn’t in good enough shape to donate, consider sending those items to a facility that breaks down the garments and repurposes the fibers. According to the U.S. EPA Office of Solid Waste, Americans throw away more than 68 pounds of clothing and textiles per person per year. Get
your personal number down by contributing to one of these worthwhile programs and help to divert useful textiles from the waste stream.