Some Hidden Gem Eatery Options around UMass Amherst

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

UMass Amherst is known for it’s amazing food, especially considering that this is the second year in a row that it has received the title of #1 Best Campus Food in the Nation. While the dining halls always offer delicious and diverse choices, be sure to check out a few of these hidden gems on/around campus for an even larger variety of options and to possibly even find a new favorite eatery.

1) Freedom Café

Located just off campus on North Pleasant St., the Freedom Café is a non-profit, organic and fair-trade coffee shop, with a mission to donate its revenue to help end human trafficking. So far, they have raised $37,000 towards their goal. As far as coffee goes, according to Krystal Kilhart (’19), their pumpkin spice lattes are to die for – they are made with real pumpkins, and are creamy and flavorful.

2) Earth Foods Cafe

The student-run Earthfoods Café has been offering vegetarian and vegan options for students in the Campus Center since 1976. In addition to their mouthwatering menu options, which include yellow thai curry, tofu pot pie, pesto pasta with tortellini, and marbled walnut chocolate cookies, they have brought back their famed “mac n’ squash”. Give this dish a try, as to most it is award-winning material.

3) Sweets & More

With ice cream floats, loaded sundaes, milkshakes and french toast sticks(!), Sweets & More will become your go-to if you need a pick-me-up for the rough nights. Located in Field Hall on Orchard Hill, Sweets n’ More knows your cravings better than you know them yourself, as it’s open from 8pm until midnight to satisfy all of your study snacking needs.

4) Hampden Market

Right in the heart of Southwest lies Hampden Market, a little convenience store that is perfect for a late night swipe. In the frozen section, Hampden Market has local, fresh ice cream (in quarts!), perfect for weekend movie sessions with friends or for a night alone with you and your spoon. They also cover every other food craving you may have, whether it’s a candy bar, some chips, or a microwavable frozen meal. 

5) Greeno Sub Shop

Akin to Earthfoods and the Freedom Café, Greeno is a colorful, conveniant, student-run, non-profit collective that serves delectable handmade sandwiches, such as subs, wraps, paninis and quesadillas. The “Gut-buster” (chicken, bacon, cheddar, onion, ranch and honey mustard) is a personal favorite, and definitely lives up to its infamous title. Located on Orchard Hill, this shop can be found in the Greenough Hall basement. Happy snacking!

6) People’s Market

In the hub of the center of campus is the People’s Market, on the first floor of the Student Union. Quick and easy for getting something on the go, People’s Market was established three years before Earthfoods, in 1973. It is also a non-profit student-run business (sensing a trend?) that offers organic, fair trade, and kosher Dean’s Beans coffee, as well as the best bagels you will ever have. Ever. They also brought back their all-natural soy chai and iced chai lattes. If you haven’t been to People’s Market already, head on over. It’ll soon become a favorite!

Header, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Rachel Walman

U Mass Amherst

Double major in English and Communications. Commonwealth Honors College Class of 2019.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst