This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Despite all the chaos and darkness that has been thrown our way (in the eyes of many) these past few weeks, there is still good in the world. Trust me on that. Since the Day That Must Not Be Named, I have seen a number of acts of kindness, goodness, and many people going out of their way to spread love in the world. It’s normal to feel sad at a time like now, scared and confused as well, but never stop believing that there are still things to smile about in this world no matter how big or small. 

1. New shows on Netflix (“The Lizzie Mcguire Movie,” anyone?)
  2. Pulling your favorite sweater from last winter out of your closet and wearing it on those chilly days 
  3. Seeing your family over the holiday break 
  4. Eating good food on the holiday break (probably more than you should, to be honest)
  5. A warm shower on a cold day 
  6. Getting together with your friends from home
  7. Spontaneous road trips
  8. Trips to the mall (Retail therapy can cure anything!)
  9. Buying new makeup (YAS SEPHORA.) 
  10. Being able to snuggle up with your pets when you’re home for the holiday 

And perhaps more significantly:

1. Women who overcame all odds and now have a place in the U.S. Senate and House
  2. Barack and Michelle’s love that keeps on giving us hope 
  3. A grandma’s Thanksgiving text that ended up giving her a new family member
  4. Protests and acts of protections for minorities around the country
  5. A firefighter helping a small girl who lost her toy in a fire smile again 
  6. Therapy dogs at hospitals helping reduce kids’ recovery times by 30 percent
  7. Hundreds of people joining a man and his dog for their final walk along a beach (I will admit this article made me cry—happy and sad tears, of course)
  8. THE FACT THAT WHEN YOUR DOG IS SLEEPING THEY ARE DREAMING ABOUT YOU (SOBBING OVER HERE) 
  9. More protests: People expressing their freedom of speech to get their voice heard peacefully
  10. This article about how to heal mindfully if your candidate lost the election

It may be a few hard months (or years) for some, but together we can get through it. Never think that the bad outweighs the good and always try to think positively no matter how hard it may be. Always lend a hug, a hand, and whatever anyone else might need to get through this tough time. Together, we got this! 

Images/GIFs: 1, 2, 3, 4

Class of 2019 journalism major at UMass Amherst! Absolutely love makeup, fashion, and everything in between.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst