Reasons Why The 2000’s Were Great

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If your childhood and teenage years were in the early 2000’s, we know you’re way too nostalgic for it. We all really overlooked it when it was happening, and now we long for the days when we could eat a Nestle Wonderball and jam to Kelly Clarkson. Here are some of the most overlooked parts of that magical time.

Hands down, the best part of the 2000’s was that is was pre-iPhones. Honestly, it was cool when we had phone diversity. Getting a new one was so exciting. Now everyone’s phone just looks the same, only differentiating by cheap phone cases from Amazon. Never forget some of the most legendary types: Voyager, Razor, Chocolate, enV, and (most importantly the one that all the celebrities had but you knew your parents would never let you get: the Sidekick. The best part about these phones was that they were indestructible. You could drop one and you wouldn’t even experience that moment of panic that iPhone culture has instilled in us. When you reached your 150 text limit for the month, you could literally throw your phone at the wall out of pure teen angst and it wouldn’t even scratch. Now, if you hit your iPhone screen with your nail too hard, it might shatter.

TRL was the best show, and during after school snack-eating primetime! Before music streaming was cool, we had TRL to keep us updated with what was popular in the music world. We also got to see our favorite singers make guest appearances and perform Monday through Friday, which provided us with some great fashion statements like this:

Speaking of celebrities, celeb culture before social media was incredible. Everything you read in a magazine or on a blog was actually interesting because you weren’t constantly being exposed to a celebrity’s life through their Instagram or Twitter. It was exciting to wait for the drama to unfold! If you weren’t getting constant updates on Miley and Nick’s relationship from Oceanup, were you really a preteen in the 2000’s? Watching Kylie Jenner Snapchat herself driving twenty times in a row may be fun, but it does not compare to the days of checking E! for updates on Britney’s meltdown.

Before the Kardashians, we had the legendary celebrity reality show The Simple Life. Paris and Nicole provided us with constant entertainment that was drastically overlooked. They told it like it was (“that’s hot”- historic catch phrase) and they never disappointed. Even though they were experiencing the simple things, they did not fail to deliver their heiress realness.

Photos: 1 2 3 4 5

Jill Webb

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst