The Pros & Cons of Going to College Close to Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Most students can’t wait to go to college as far away from their homes as possible, but some of us end up within five miles of our houses. While sometimes this can be a drag, it can also be a blessing in disguise. Here are five pros and cons of going to college so close to home…

Pro: If you forget something important, it’s easy to get. This is super convenient when you’re sick, and need more tissues, medicine, etc.

Con: Your parents can stop by whenever. Whenever.

Pro: You never have to waste quarters on laundry, because you can just do it at home. You also don’t have to worry about people stealing your clothes or taking them out of the dryer early.

Con: If you’re like me and do your own laundry at home, you’ll get roped into doing all the laundry…and washing the dishes…and mowing the lawn.

Pro: The move-out process is a breeze. You can start moving your stuff back home a week in advance, so when everyone is trying to leave, you don’t get stuck in all of the commotion.

Con: The move-in process still sucks. Even though it takes you 5 minutes to get to school, you still have to wait for hours in the long line of cars with everyone else.

Pro: When all of your friends come home from school, you’re already around! “Hey, you gonna be home this weekend?” “Well yeah, I’m always here…” Much easier than trying to coordinate several schedules.

Con:  If you really don’t want to see that one high school “friend,” you can’t just say that you’re not around. They know you’re there and no amount of excuses can help you avoid that awkward situation. 

Pro: You don’t have to worry about leaving all of your favorite restaurants, stores, hangouts, etc. In the mood for your favorite pizza? No problem, it’s still only 5 minutes away.

Con: You get bored of eating at the same places over and over. Like when your friends come home and make you go to Antonio’s with them because they haven’t been there in ages, but you went the night before. 

Photo sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst