you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Proper Office Etiquette (For You Not So Proper College Girls)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

After crossing your fingers and wishing on one too many stars, you landed your dream internship. If you’re like me, you’re probably sitting there asking how the hell you got it. Weren’t there 5 billion other people up for this? No time to stress over that, ladies, we have bigger issues to talk about: proper office etiquette.  The office life isn’t your usual college playground; it’s the real world (scary, isn’t it?). Here are some tips to shine at your new internship or big girl job.

Dress the Part

Okay, maybe you aren’t saving lives at this internship; you may not even be getting paid (I know, I thought it was a joke, too). This does not mean you should roll out of bed 5 minutes before you are supposed to be at the office and show up in your old Red Sox shirt with the huge beer stain on it. One of the most valuable pieces of advice that I’ve received is to dress for the job you want, not the job you have. This will show your boss that you are there to be taken seriously, and hey, it might make a few attractive male co-workers look your way. I’m not complaining…

Generally speaking, office attire should be fairly conservative. By this I mean the *cough* “girls” and the booty should not be making any special appearances. You can’t go wrong with these classics: skirts hitting two inches above the knee or lower, straight leg pants, blouses, and cardigans. Use your accessories to give a little personality or color to your outfits. A bold necklace or great pair of flats will spice it up like a jalapeno. Ay mami!

No Swearing

It can be a challenge to filter the never-ending stream of swear words that comes out of our pretty little mouths at any given moment. I mean, my swearing can even be compared to that of a truck driver (sorry, mom). This is a huge no-no on the job, as you want to be seen as professional by your managers and your co-workers. Trust me on this one; swearing is not the way to win over your boss. Chew a pack of Orbit and clean up that dirty mouth, girl.

Be On Time

You know that one friend who says they will be at your house at 6:30 but doesn’t show up until 8? You pace around your house furious, looking outside for her headlights then back down at your phone, minute by minute, until she finally strolls in with no explanation. When this happens to me, I get so mad that you could cast me in a movie as the Hulk (too much?). Now imagine if this was work, and your “late friend” arrived at the office in the same manner that she got to your house. Would you fire her? Oh you know I would, girl. Make everyone happy and get to work on time.

Don’t be Lazy

Yes I know, sometimes work is the last place you want to be at 7AM on a Friday morning when all of your friends get to lounge all day in post-Thirsty Thursday misery. You can lie around another time; you have a job to do! One of my fabulous UMass college professors passed on the wisdom to never let anyone outwork you. An outstanding work ethic will get you way more places than having a sense of entitlement at a job. Want to impress your boss? Be the hardworking collegiette™ that I know you can be.

Stay Organized

Throughout your internship or job you will be required to do some work (bring me back to pre-school ASAP). Sometimes there will be multiple tasks that you will be responsible for at one time. Discover a system that works for you. Personally, I like to complete one task at a time so that I don’t feel overwhelmed. When it’s completed, I check it off my list and continue on. Doing this makes me feel accomplished and ready for the next task (or for nap time).

Be a Team Player

Working as a team isn’t always peaches and cream. However, at your internship or on the job, you will be expected to communicate with others and work together on a daily basis.  Don’t fret my fellow collegiette™; it will make your job a whole lot easier! Oh and another thing, respect your co-workers, as they will be the ones who will save you from eating alone at lunch.

Learn from Your Mistakes

We all will mess up at one point or another in our lives (we can’t all be Beyonce, here). Don’t get down on yourself for the mistake! Pick yourself up and brush those shoulders off. Figure out what you did wrong and use this knowledge to be better next time. If you don’t understand something, ask your manager or co-workers for help. This internship is a learning experience, and no one expects you to be a pro on day one, I promise.

Internships and office jobs can open many doors for you if you play your cards right. With these tips, you will be on your way to impressing any boss out there. If you end up being a CEO one day, you can give me a shout out.

Rachel Annese

U Mass Amherst

A junior at UMass Amherst who enjoys all things Beyonce, singing in the shower, and spending endless nights watching The Office.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst