sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Not-So-Healthy Halloween Treats

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Ahhh, Halloween; those fantastic 4 days when you do minimal homework, wear minimal socially acceptable clothing and do maximum partying. What? I’m just being honest.

Besides the clothes and the extra curricular activities, there is food… there is always food… we all love food. What makes food even better? If it is Halloween-ified, because would you rather have an English muffin pizza or a mummy English muffin pizza. Yeah, no brainer.

Below are some yummy treats to both satisfy your hunger and feed your Halloween obsession.

Heads up: None of these are all that good for you, but they sure are good for the soul.

Blood Splatter Red Velvet Cupcakes!

Dexter, our friendly and not too bad on the eyes, serial killer/blood splatter analyst would 100% approve of these pieces of heaven…. 

What you will need:

-Red Velvet cake and frosting mix (Duncan Hines)— you will also obviously need eggs, water and olive oil

-Cupcake tins

-Gel cake decorator (Red)

-Fork

How to:

1. Follow the instructions on the box for both the cupcakes and the frosting.

2. Use the piping bag to apply the frosting to the cupcakes in whatever way you would like but leave a little frosting on the side.

3. Squeeze the gel into a bowl and add a small amount of water (depending on amount of gel you decide to use)

4. Add a bit of the extra frosting until you achieve your desired opacity.

5. Now, the fun part, just take your fork and splatter the blood onto the cupcakes.

The best part about this is that it does not have to be perfect because you want it to look as life-like as possible.

Adapted from recipe found on Pinterest

Frankenstein Marshmallow Pops!

These take a bit more time to make but they are so cute in the end so it is totally worth it. 

What you will need:

-1 bag of Large Marshmallows

-Lollipop sticks

-Toothpick

-1 bag of green candy melts

-Semi-sweet chocolate chips

-Pretzel sticks

-White nonpareils

-Black and red edible markers

-Jimmies (aka chocolate sprinkles) *Optional*

How to:

1.     Begin by melting down the green candy melts.

2.     Dip the ends of the lollipop sticks into the melted candy and stick it about half an inch into the marshmallow. This will ensure that the marshmallow will stay on.

3.     Once you have what will look like green soup… dip the marshmallows in. Make sure you get the full marshmallow covered.

4.     Stick them in the refrigerator until they are cooled.

5.     Once cooled, melt semi-sweet chocolate chips and dip the very top of the marshmallow into the chocolate. This will act as the hair, so to make it more believable, take a toothpick and drag the chocolate down into little points as you can see in the picture and stick them back into the refrigerator to cool.

6.     Break up the pretzel sticks and stick them into the sides of the “face”

7.     Stick the nonpareils onto the face at eye height and then go in with the black edible marker and add the pupil.

8.     Go to town with the markers and customize your little Frankenstein to make him however you would like.

9.     And then eat him.

Adapted from recipe found on Pinterest. 

Jell-O Worms!

You can’t scare your roommate with a plate of colorful gummy worms but you can with these bad boys…

What you will need:

-6 oz packet of raspberry Jell-O powder

-1 envelope of gelatin

-Bendy straws

-a glass that is about the same height as the straws

-3/4 cup whipping cream

-15 drops of green food coloring

How to:

1.     Mix Jell-O powder, gelatin and 3 cups boiling water.

2.     Let cool in refrigerator for about 20 minutes.

3.     Add whipping cream and green food coloring.

4.     Put straws in glass standing up and pour mixture into straws. Be sure to hold straws together tight to make sure you get as much in each straw as possible.

5.     Refrigerate until Jell-O is hardened.

6.     To get the worms out, start squeezing at one end and slowly start moving down the straw, you will see the worm start to slide out. 

Adapted from recipe found on Pinterest.

English Muffin Mummy Pizzas!

These are, without a doubt, the easiest things to make. So, you have no excuse. I am forcing you to make these because… Pizza. 

What you will need:

-Whole grain English muffins (or any bread of your choice)

-Pizza sauce of your choice

-String cheese

-Black olives

How to:

1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Cut English muffins in half an spread an even layer of pizza sauce.

3. Cut 1 black olive in half and use as eyes closer to the top.

4. Pull apart string cheese in small pieces and have fun with it!

5. Bake until cheese is partially golden brown.

6. Devour. 

Adapted from recipe found on Pinterest.

All pictures are my own.

Currently a hard-working, self-motivated, dominos-loving business student at UMass Amherst. Not only am I an avid reader of HerCampus.com but I am also a proud member of both Her Campus UMass Amherst and Her Campus Blogger Network. I am working towards my goal of moving out west and getting into marketing for the beauty and fashion industry.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst