Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

U Mass Amherst Features

10 Robin Williams Movies Millenials Will Never Forget

By Becky Jackson
September 16, 2014 - 9:00am

On August 11th, 2014, the world lost a comedic legend. Robin Williams is known for starring in some of the most beloved comedies and dramas from the Millenial Generation's childhood years. Losing him felt like losing a part of most of our childhoods. He played many beloved and memorable roles and warmed the hearts of millions. Between these characters and his personal prerogative on life, Williams is going to keep changing the world long after his passing. Here are some of the roles and quotes we will remember him best for: Dead Poets Society (1989) READ MORE

5 Thoughts All Collegiettes Have Upon Living in a Dorm Again (as Told by Gifs)

By Jane Stream
September 15, 2014 - 9:00am

What do you mean I can’t walk around in just my underwear anymore? Forgot to bring a towel with me into the shower... First time meeting the cute guy across the hall Why am I living on the 20th floor? READ MORE

How to Make Your Room Décor Adorably Eco-friendly This Semester

By Rachel Lauth
September 14, 2014 - 9:00am

Welcome back, Collegiettes! If you’re anything like me, one of your favorite things about returning to school is getting to decorate your new room. (Okay, maybe that is a bit of a stretch, but it is definitely in the top ten.)  While you’re hunting for some cute décor ideas on Pinterest or Wanelo, you may want to consider incorporating some eco-friendly options. Not only will it give you an excuse to spend even more time browsing the internet for decoration ideas, but it’s also a super simple way to incorporate more environmentally conscious choices into your life (and who wouldn't want to do that?). Here are a couple easy ways you can get started! 1. Upcycling/Repurposing...

What It's Like Coming Back to UMass (As Told by The Bad Girls Club)

By Brittany O'Neil
September 14, 2014 - 9:00am

I don't know about you Collegiettes, but watching The Bad Girls Club is my guilty pleasure. I absolutely love watching these girls react to situations like I wish I could (of course I wouldn't "pop off" as often as Tanisha) when something really gets under my skin - like the little annoyances at the beginning of the semester. I wonder how the "Bad Girls" would react to a semester at UMass Amherst... It’s finally here, MOVE-IN DAY! This year, you’re determined to have the best year ever! You’re so excited to see all of your old friends again.... READ MORE

"Ain't I A Woman?": Orange Is the New Black star Laverne Cox Speaks at UMass

By Mariah Scafidi
September 13, 2014 - 9:02am

Laverne Cox flipped her blonde hair over her shoulder, chin proudly tilted up, and asked, “Ain’t I a woman?” Her question was met with an ear-shattering roar from close to a thousand UMass students, who had gathered in the Fine Arts Center concert hall on Thursday to watch the transgender activist speak. READ MORE

Free Trip To Israel- My Birthright Story

By Diana Weinstein
September 13, 2014 - 9:00am

Have you ever wanted to travel to another country, but just felt as though you didn't have the money to do it? Are you a Jewish young adult between the ages of 18-26? If you answered yes to both of these questions, and have not been to Israel on a peer educational trip post 18 years of age, then you qualify for a FREE TRIP TO ISRAEL! READ MORE

7 Things All UMass Seniors Know

By Adelle Girvan
September 13, 2014 - 9:00am

“Hi my name is Adelle, and I'm a-” I stopped in the middle of my thought, shocked in disbelief about what I was about to say, “I'm a Senior.” What seemed to begin as a silly icebreaker, suddenly seemed to stir up the nostalgia in me. I began thinking of all the things I learned at UMass: I learned that the best workout on campus is the library stairs. I learned that Earth Food's “Mac N' Squash” is way better than regular macaroni and cheese. I realized that a class before 11:00 am just does not work. It just doesn't. READ MORE

A Letter to the Class of 2018 Collegiettes

By Emily Mooshian
September 12, 2014 - 9:02am

Hello to the new Collegiettes! Let me be the first to welcome you to the greatest place on earth, UMass Amherst! How does it feel to finally be on your own for the first time? Personally, I radiated nothing but pure joy when I stepped on campus a year ago, but that’s often not the case. I know that being away from home is both liberating and terrifying, but a year from now when all of those feelings have long subsided, you will understand and appreciate all of the great things that UMass has to offer. READ MORE

Leaving for College: Freshmen vs. Senior

By Kat Kent
September 12, 2014 - 9:00am

Once you're an upperclassmen, you seem to have the "college thing" down pretty solidly between class expectations, school supplies and social life but every year when the end of summer approaches there is a noticeable difference between leaving home as a freshmen for college and leaving home as a senior. Freshmen: School Shopping... Senior: "School Shopping" just means stocking up on alcohol and yoga pants.  READ MORE

Fun in the Sun: New England Summer Day Trips

By Allie Bush
May 8, 2014 - 9:00am

Summer is upon us, and even though you will probably be at a job or internship, you need something to do on your time off. If you find yourself feeling bored over the summer, grab some friends and head out on a day trip! Massachusetts and the rest of New England are great places to explore in the summer months, and have destinations and activities to please a wide range of interests. Here are some great places that you should check out: Nubble Light READ MORE