Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

U Mass Amherst News

Fun in the Sun: New England Summer Day Trips

By Allie Bush
May 8, 2014 - 9:00am

Summer is upon us, and even though you will probably be at a job or internship, you need something to do on your time off. If you find yourself feeling bored over the summer, grab some friends and head out on a day trip! Massachusetts and the rest of New England are great places to explore in the summer months, and have destinations and activities to please a wide range of interests. Here are some great places that you should check out: Nubble Light READ MORE

20 Things People from Massachusetts Enjoy, For Gahd Knows What Reason

By Rachel Cerbone
May 8, 2014 - 8:30am

Bay Staters, Massachusettsans, Massachusites - we’re a unique breed. We have an “accent” even though we’re America’s OGs and our professional sport teams’ mascots are either magical, made-up creatures or just straight up frightening. We also have a reputation for being, well, wicked temperamental. Like I said, there’s no one else like us. And if you’re one of us, this list will merely be the Hahvahd to ya yahd (pffft), the Fenway to your frank. 1. You blush when someone calls you a Masshole. That’s quite the compliment, if you ask me. 2. Road rage is part of being a driver. It’s a privilege. READ MORE

10 Best Things About Summers on Long Island

By Sharon Thomas
May 7, 2014 - 11:55am

Yes, we have quite a few stereotypes, put a little too much emphasis on the “aw” sound, and are infested with Dunkin Donuts, 7/11’s, and delis… But we are home to the most expansive sandy beaches, most beautiful oceans, bays, and harbors and some of the greatest summer traditions: 1. Pizza, bagels, ice coffee, and anything you can order at the deli… let's face it, we have the best hangover remedies around. READ MORE

Summer Fun Is Almost Here: Trips To The Cape

By Emily Jette
May 7, 2014 - 11:42am

For all of the Collegiettes that feel this academic year has passed by really quickly, you’re not alone! This year feels like time flew, and it feels hard to believe summer break is coming up fast. With finals ending right around the corner (last day May 8th), one of my personal favorite things to look forward to during the summer are day trips to the Cape. For those who have the opportunity to go to the Cape this summer, here are some fun spots to travel to! My picture from Chatham beach summer 2013 READ MORE

12 Things All Incoming UMass Collegiettes Should Know

By Catie Baumgartner
May 6, 2014 - 9:30am

Dear Future UMass Collegiettes,  First of all congratulations and welcome to the UMass Family! We all remember how exciting and relieving it is to finally know where you will be living for the next four years. College really is as awesome as everyone makes it out to be, and UMass is a wonderful place (though I know I'm biased). These suggestions are things all UMass Collegiettes figure out on their own. However, this list will ensure that you are ahead of the game and don't have to find everything out the hard way.  READ MORE

Why Leaving School For The Summer Is So Bittersweet

By Allison Kafka
May 6, 2014 - 9:00am

Another semester has come and gone and as we prepare for finals and the move out, the feeling is nothing more than bittersweet.  On the one hand, almost everyone is excited to see old friends from home, but leaving behind our college friends (some of whom live very far away) is hard! READ MORE

5 Fun and Festive Margaritas To Try This Cinco De Mayo

By Morgan Tutton
May 5, 2014 - 9:30am

With Cinco De Mayo today, what better than to try some new and exciting flavored margaritas. Whether you like fruity drinks, beer, wine or a guilt free low-calorie drink there will be a margarita that's perfect for you! Here's a few recipes to give your holiday a kick start: Beer Margaritas For all of the beer lovers out there, a beer margarita is the perfect Cinco De Mayo cocktail. With some beer, tequila, and frozen lime concentrate this cocktail can easily be made. READ MORE

6 Amazing Hidden Gems Surrounding UMass

By Katie Bowler
May 5, 2014 - 9:00am

One of the many perks of coming to UMass is the surrounding area. We all know about the great restaurants in Amherst like Pasta e Basta and the sweet stores in NoHo like Faces, but there are some hidden gems that not a lot of UMass students know about. Definitely worth checking out: 1) Arise Pizzeria READ MORE

The Collegiette's Ultimate Finals Survival Playlist

By Katie Gainer
May 4, 2014 - 9:30am

Calling all Collegiettes who are currently suffering through finals week: if you're not one for classical Mozart but also can't stand to study in silence, I've compiled a list of 20 of my favorite songs from various genres that I've recently been jamming out to whilst studying. I sincerely hope you find my music taste as impeccable as I do and that these songs will have you twerking on your library chair like Rihanna. Wind your stress down, turn your headphones up, and hit those books! Good luck and happy finals week, ladies! READ MORE

How to Non-Academically Make the Most of Finals Week

By Karen Podorefsky
May 4, 2014 - 9:00am

It’s the most stressful, yet stress-free week of the year, if that’s what you make it! Finals week is the one time that all you have to do is study and write papers, so there is a lot of time to procrastinate with FUN! You can accomplish what you’ve wanted to do all year, or longer, during your time of not studying. READ MORE