Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

U Mass Amherst Features

What You Need to Know About Some of Your Local Student-Run Businesses

By Sarah Newcomb
October 20, 2014 - 9:00am

One of the things I love about UMass is the student-run businesses we have across campus. Not only are these places to grab food student-run and local, they are affordable as well. From Sweets and More to People’s Market these places are good eats and great finds, so stop by with friends or for a quick break and enjoy some good food! READ MORE

What To Wear To Skrillex At The Mullins Center

By Grace Olivia Brown
October 19, 2014 - 9:00am

As most of us UMass Amherst Collegiettes know, electronic dance music was banned from our campus last year. As one of the many students who bought a Pretty Lights ticket the first day I moved in last year, I can say that I am beyond excited to see Skrillex perform on October 23 at the Mullins Center. Here are a list of the top six things to wear to this concert: 1. Deodorant Carly Aquilino knows what's up. No one is too special to go without it at a concert. READ MORE

A Student's Response: Confidential Informants on Campus

By Irene Tzelalis
October 17, 2014 - 9:00am

UMass has (once again) found itself in the spotlight thanks to recent articles regarding the use of students as confidential informants. Recently, publications such as the Boston Globe, the Daily Collegian, and third party websites have brought up the issue of using these informants in the UMass community: something the university is now re-evaluating.  READ MORE

Fall Semester Essentials: Back to School Survival Kit 2014

By Brittaney Lynch
October 16, 2014 - 11:56pm

UMass Amherst is well into the school year and we are definitely feeling the weight of midterm exams, papers and piles of homework. Thankfully, Her Campus and its wonderful sponsors swooped in to save the day by providing the Her Campus UMass team with a Back to School Survival Kit! The package contained everything our team needs to get us through the rest of the fall semester. Take a look at some of the awesome goodies we gave away from the kit at our most recent chapter meeting: READ MORE

4 Amazing Subscriptions for College Students on a Budget

By Katie Logue
October 16, 2014 - 9:00am

Now that school is back in session, college students are busier than ever. From exams, to clubs, to the social scene, wouldn't it be great if we could have some amazing care packages sent to us every month?! These budget-friendly boxes offer a variety of items, perfect for every college student! 1. Birchbox READ MORE

The Biggest Struggles Of Getting to Class at UMass

By Meghan Ouellette
October 14, 2014 - 9:00am

UMass Amherst is a great school and we’re all here for different reasons. We are all diverse people that love the school for its different majors, clubs, and activities, but we can always find a common ground. UMass has a huge campus and the most challenging thing about being a student here is undoubtedly that dreaded walk to class. READ MORE

The Confidential Informant Program at UMass: What It Is and What You Need To Know About It

By Benjamin Bosco
October 14, 2014 - 9:00am

On September 29, Chancellor Subbaswamy released a statement saying that the Confidential Informant program at UMass has been suspended, and that the SGA is preparing a statement on what to do about the currently-suspended program. This program has been chastised by UMass President Robert Caret, saying that he “doesn’t like the feel of it,” and also by many students in the wake of its exposition after a UMass junior’s death from a heroin overdose in October 2013. There just remains one question-what is the Confidential Informant program?...

6 Women from US History We Could Be Celebrating Instead of Columbus

By Rachel Lauth
October 13, 2014 - 9:00am

This Monday marks the 77th Anniversary of Columbus Day, the day the United States commemorates Christopher Columbus for landing in the New World in 1492. For most of us, this holiday just means an extra day we can sleep in and not go to class; we don’t really give it much more thought. READ MORE

Dinner and a Talk with Piper Kerman

By Olivia Laramie
October 12, 2014 - 9:00am

“Keep your mouth shut and your eyes open.” Piper Kerman, author of Orange is the New Black, gave us this advice in the case that we were ever jailed. However, that’s exactly what I did for the entire three hours I spent in her vicinity. At 5 o’clock pm on Wednesday, October 1st, I arrived at the Mullins center with other members of my RAP, Careers in Law. We joined our professor, Diane Curtis, in the elevator and shared our excitement to meet Piper. READ MORE

The Valley Features: Flayvors of Cook Farm

By Avery Klepacki
October 11, 2014 - 9:00am

One of the best parts about going to school in the Valley is our access to a tremendous number of amazing local businesses. From coffee shops to jewelry stores, our little part of Massachusetts has everything any college student would need, all while benefiting the same community that we live in. This ongoing segment is intended to go in depth with a few of these places, including how they got started and what students need to know about them. READ MORE