Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

U Mass Amherst Features

5 Ways the Extreme Introvert Can Celebrate Halloween

By Anastasia Armstrong
October 29, 2014 - 9:00am

Hello my fellow Collegiettes! As you all know, Halloween is just around the corner and it’s time to prepare for the unstoppable craziness that will be sure to appear on campus. However, if you are anything like me, Halloween is not a time for going out and dressing up, but for curling up in bed with your hot date, Netflix. In an effort to make this weekend a little more eventful in my life and yours, here is a short list of ways to make Halloween fun for the people like us. #1 Netflix (bet you didn’t see that one coming!) READ MORE

5 Badass Horror Movie Heroines

By Mia Brugnoli-Ensin
October 28, 2014 - 9:00am

The overused “damsel in distress" theme in Hollywood is so overrated. When there is a horror film with a female lead, on the other hand, whether hero or villain, that character suddenly becomes 100% more badass. In light of Halloween, here is cinematic histories top horror movie heroines. SPOILER ALERTS! Sidney Prescott: Scream
The epitome of a horror movie heroine, she uses her vast knowledge of horror movie history to not only survive but thrive in this classic 1996 film. No slasher - or boyfriend - will stand in her way. READ MORE

Halloween at UMass as Told by Disney

By Catie Baumgartner
October 28, 2014 - 8:59am

You’ve spent days, weeks (maybe even months) planning your costume. Couple's? Group? Sexy? Scary? Whatever you decided, it's time to eat some lobster, put on that costume and enjoy Halloween at UMass. First things first...pictures with the whole crew. If you dress up and don't take any pictures, did you really dress up? Unfortunately you all spent too much time with photos and realize you're about to miss the bus. That means running in heels. Never fun or successful. READ MORE

6 Creepiest Places in Massachusetts

By Mariah Scafidi
October 27, 2014 - 9:00am

With Halloween quickly approaching, our twisted interest in haunted houses, murder stories and overall creepiness approaches a whole new level. Something about October just screams ghost stories, and luckily, Massachusetts has plenty of creepy places to keep you satisfied for the month. Here are our top six creepiest places in Massachusetts: 1) The Lizzie Borden House in Fall River READ MORE

Living at the Zoo (As Told By the Guys from New Girl)

By Danielle Rivera
October 26, 2014 - 9:00am

You made it through another week from hell and it's finally time to enjoy the weekend:
Are we hitting the paint party in MoHo or just swinging by LIT? Either way, you're dressed to impress, and it's looking like it's gonna be a good night. As a 21+ Collegiette, the next morning you realize you may have had a little too much to drink at the bars last night. READ MORE

A Love Letter To Bartlett

By Kathryn McGovern
October 25, 2014 - 9:00am

Dearest Bartlett, The first day I met you, I was just a scared Freshman clutching onto my lanyard. I remember getting lost in your halls for fifteen minutes and stumbling into class late, red-faced and embarrassed. I remember seeing how dilapidated you were, your entrance shrouded in a haze of English majors’ cigarette smoke. I thought to myself, is this really what I’m paying thousands of dollars for? Little did I know that I would fall in love with you. With all your flaws and serious ant infestation issue. With your asbestos and even with Barlett 65. READ MORE

6 Attractive Reasons to Watch Sports

By Addie Levine
October 24, 2014 - 9:00am

We watch sports because they are intense and full of action, they are exciting and fun to watch, and they are played by some pretty handsome men. I love to watch sports for the reasons listed above, but let’s be real, these athletes are an added bonus to game day. Here are 6 of the many athletes under the age of 25 that make watching sports a little more viewer friendly. Bryce Harper Age: 22 Birthday: October 16, 1992 Sport: Baseball- Washington Nationals Number: 34 Relationship Status: Engaged   READ MORE

TEDxUMassAmherst is Back!

By Lexi Sheldon
October 24, 2014 - 9:00am

TedXUMassAmherst is Back! Check out their awesome promo video here. Who are they? TEDxUMassAmherst is a student-run, student-orginized, and completely independently funded student group on campus. TedX seeks to connect students with some of the greatest and most succesful people in the world. Jason Wang, senior Biology major and President of TEDxUMassAmherst, believes that "This connection influences, inspires, and impacts students at UMass in a unique, powerful and positive way." READ MORE

The Struggles of Writing your Senior Thesis

By Chloë Morse
October 23, 2014 - 9:00am

Some of you senior Collegiettes may be working on a thesis this year. At first, the thought of dedicating a whole year to a topic that you’re interested in researching might seem fun and easy, but some of these struggles of writing your thesis are bound to happen: 1. You picked a topic you were interested in, but have no idea where to find any specific information about it! 2. You find yourself reading more about this one topic than you’ve ever read before in college.  READ MORE

The Life of a UMass Amherst Tour Guide

By Samantha McGarry
October 21, 2014 - 9:00am

The real issues of chatting up high schoolers, knowing way too much about UMass and that the only thing worse than Jersey Moms are alumni...welcome to the life of UMass Amherst tour guide!  When parents ask if we're going to see every building on campus. ...and when they ask if there is a bus tour: READ MORE