This Music Festival Is Close to Campus and You Should Definitely Consider Going

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

It’s kind of like the opposite of Coachella but in a good way…

Instead of prancing around the desert half-naked and covered in glitter, you’ll be bundled up in a winter jacket on top of a mountain dancing to performances from some of today’s hottest EDM artists. Okay, well maybe you’ll still be covered in glitter. But you get the point. 

Minus Zero Winter Sport and Music Festival isn’t your typical music festival. Instead of anxiously waiting in your hotel room for the concert to start, you get to ski or snowboard all day on Mount Snow’s fresh slopes. Then after the sun sets, you and your squad get to party all night under laser lights in an atmosphere brimming with good vibes and cool people. Even with the cheapest ticket option, you still have access to the main stage that overlooks gorgeous mountains, an indoor heated stage, and bar and drink stations. 

The festival takes place at Mount Snow in Vermont, which is about an hour and 20-minute drive from UMass Amherst. This may seem too long but considering that we live in an area where there are a limited number of EDM festivals, not taking advantage of this would be a missed opportunity. The most popular one in close proximity to New England is Electric Zoo in New York City. And let’s be honest, we’re all struggling, nearly-broke collegiettes. Even going to Electric Zoo is a stretch; the thought of spending money on an extravagant festival across the country is nearly impossible. But thankfully, Minus Zero is here to give us easier access to a weekend full of stellar artists that will create an experience that we’ll never forget. 

This year’s headliners are Tipper, Odesza, and Zeds Dead; other popular artists being featured include Rezz, Bleep Bloop, Jai Wolf, and Liquid Stranger among others. Additionally, some local and up-and-coming DJ’s will be performing as well, including my personal favorites Uncle Bob and Vinny Vibe.

Tickets to the festival will give you access to multiple after parties at the end of each night if you choose to keep the rave going. General Admission can be purchased here for $139, but the price will go up as the event gets closer. And be sure to check out secondary websites, like Vivid Seats, an independent online ticket marketplace that has tickets starting at $150This year the festival is April 6th, 7th and 8th. Mark your calendars!

Lift tickets are separate and can be purchased for $59 for 1 day, $105 for 2 days, and $149 for 3 at the base of the mountain. Sometimes the deals are cheaper online, too, so keep an eye out. Hotel rooms on the Mount Snow resort can be booked through the official Minus Zero website. Or if you have a squad large enough, there are AirBnB options as well.

Take it from me, an EDM enthusiast who has seen a bunch of these artists before, you won’t want to miss this!

For more information and photos from last year’s festival, you can go to their website and check out their event page on Facebook.

Images: 1, 2 

Brenna Treese

U Mass Amherst '19

Brenna is a graduate of UMass Amherst with a BA in English and secondary major in Communication. She is a lover of animals, coffee, and music. She is from Cape Cod and is eager to experience the abundance and prosperity the world has to offer. Find her on Instagram: @brennaa_elizabeth14
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst