This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Dear Lucky Straight Haired Girls,

It’s us, the girls with the wavy, curly, ringlets, frizzy and corkscrew hair.  We’re the not so lucky ones. We weren’t blessed with the amazing genes of naturally straight hair. Your genes, probably perfectly straight like your hair, are superior to ours. We have to say, we’re kind of jealous. While you may think we’re lucky that our hair is like this, let us walk you through a day in the life of a curly haired Collegiette:

We’re jealous of the fact that when you wake up in the morning, all you have to do is brush your hair and you’re good to go. Putting your hair in a ponytail, braid or any other hairstyle becomes so easy.  We, on the other hand, wake up with our hair in one giant knot. Not kidding.   f we brush it, it turns our hair becomes three feet wide.  In the words of Miley Cyrus, our hair can’t be tamed.

Walking to class in the New England weather isn’t our hair’s friend. A day that is too humid will make our hair extremely frizzy and a day that is rainy or snowy will make it look like we just got out of the shower. Wind isn’t our friend either. We won’t be surprised if you think there’s a bird’s next on top of our head. Nope, that’s just our hair being blown all over the place. Our perfect day: sunny and 65 degrees, no humidity, no wind. When do we get this? Occasionally. To our classmates, we’re sorry that sometimes our hair looks crazy after walking around campus. It’s really not our fault.

After a long week of studying, writing papers and going to classes, it’s always exciting when the weekend comes along. Finally time to let off some steam! However, it takes us so much longer to get ready to go out. 

First, we have to think about what we want to do with our hair, keep it curly or attempt to break out the straightener. If we decide to go with the curly haired look, we have to make sure to use enough products to keep our hair perfect all night long. If we want to go for the straight look, it can take anywhere from 1-4 hours (okay, I’m exaggerating but you get the point) to get rid of each of our little curls. The result looks great and you’re ready to go!

However, after a long night of walking outdoors and getting hot and sweaty while you’re out, you look in the mirror only to realize it looks like you didn’t straighten your hair at all. It was nice for those first few minutes when it was freshly done. Oh well.

It’s not always bad having curly hair though. One thing we do have mastered: rocking our curls. While you may struggle with your curling iron and making your (wo)man-made curls stay in your hair, we know exactly how to handle it. In fact, we don’t need a curling iron at all, it’s au natural. We also know how to rock the beachy summer hair pretty well. It is nice to be able to have so many options on what to do with our hair everyday. 

Maybe you straight hair girls aren’t the only lucky ones after all. While there are ups and downs to having curly or wavy hair, it’s not so bad all the time. We’ve learned to love our curls over time (even though sometimes we do hate them more).

Love,

The Curly Haired Girls Who Actually Realize our Hair isn’t so Bad After All

Photo Sources 1 2 3 4 5

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst