A Letter to My Forever Favorite Song

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

All it took was one song to change my world that I now carry with me in my heart forever.

“Slow down you crazy child, you’re so ambitious for a juvenile.”

I used to hate Billy Joel. I remember the days road trips meant executing my best show of resistance. Quite frankly, I don’t really know what my ultimate goal was, but all I remember is that I needed to prove my father wrong. No one wanted to listen to his “old person” music when we could be listening to the cool, hip music on the radio. He would throw in that CD every time and turn up the volume high, swaying to the sound. I couldn’t believe it. A six-hour drive to Virginia and this is what we were stuck with. You see, it’s really unlike me not to sing. Or dance. Or at least foot tap to anything. But I had to make it a point to hold my foot still and keep my arms crossed as I looked out the window, upset that I didn’t get my way. Ah, to be young and dramatic. I was probably imagining I was in a sad music video. 

But then if you’re so smart, tell me why are you still so afraid?”

It got to me after a while. Of course I wonder never admit that I liked the music. For God’s sake, I had to commit to my act. I remained still as a cinderblock, attempting not to move a muscle to make a statement. I would not tolerate this music being played over what I wanted to hear. It was my way or the highway. But considering that we were on a road trip and already on the highway and I still didn’t get my way, it would be best for me to give up on that notion. Secretly, my heart beat in sync with the sound. The lyrics were banners inside my head like a lyric video. I was hypotized by the music. I had to hum along.  

“You got your passion, you got your pride.”

And they caught me. I might’ve been humming softly but I couldn’t hold back my urge to sing along. Oh, you’d better believe that I tried to hide it. I’d blame my siblings and would say that I hated the music and still wanted to turn it off, but I wasn’t fooling anyone. We all knew that I was secretly falling in love with “The Stranger” album, especially the song “Vienna.” It was beautiful. That soothing melody and deep meaning resonated with me. 

“But don’t you know that only fools are satisfied.”

Soon I couldn’t stop listening to the album. I didn’t even care anymore that my dad obviously won this round, I just loved the tunes too much. I would request my father play each song two, three times so that I could get the lyrics in my head. I needed to memorize every melody, every meaning so that I could truly make this album mine. In my free time I would turn the album on and sing along, air playing the piano to truly capture the essence of the songs. I would pick out my favorite line from each song and I would rank my songs from most favorite to least favorite. But if I’m being honest, they all were favorites nonetheless. 

“Dream on, but don’t imagine they’ll all come true.”

I remember when I got my first iPod. It was a dinky little shuffle, but it was my first one so I loved it either way. It was small and blue and I was 11. And the first songs I put on it were the songs from “The Stranger” album. By then I knew all the songs. I only dreamed of maybe one day seeing the Piano Man live. In the meantime, however, the album held a special place in my heart. I would listen to the songs on repeat—especially “Vienna.” I learned to play it on the piano, I would sing it at family gatherings. The song is always with me. 

“When will you realize, Vienna waits for you.”

Alas, the eight little words that have held so much meaning in my life. I look to this song during my low points. I look to this song during my high points. I feel as if the lyrics speak directly to me, each line a different journey of my life that I’ve experienced or have yet to experience. There are so many different meanings to me, however if I had to sum it up, this is the gist of it:

You have so many dreams and ambitions, and you’re trying so hard to accomplish and work towards them by reflecting on how you will get there—so much that you aren’t really living in the moment. You’re still young and have a whole life ahead of you, so don’t worry about trying to do everything you want before you get older. You don’t have to rush and move so fast in life. You have time to live your life and accomplish your dreams. Take your time. Enjoy your life. Vienna waits for you. 

Thank you, Billy Joel, for the masterpiece that is “Vienna.” It will forever be my song.

Images/GIFs: 1, 2, 3

Kathryn Fallah

U Mass Amherst

Hey there!  Thanks for visiting my page. My name is Kathryn and I'm a Journalism major at Umass Amherst. Some of my favorite things are Billy Joel, matcha drinks, and my four guinea pigs. 
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst