kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Letter To: The Gym (Why I Don’t Need You Right Now)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Let’s face it, you have become nothing but a trend. It almost seems like no one really likes you, but they just do it because it makes you look good. Dressing up in brand new active-wear and the latest Nikes is way more pleasing than what you do for me.

You have become a place to take more selfies… one right before my “workout” and one right after because I’m sure that one sweat stain and muscle arm is definitely getting me more likes. This sounds terrible, but I would only go to the gym because it’s the new norm, you know? It’s what Kim does and since she’s my spirit animal – it’s what I should do too, right?

So what if I gained 15 pounds in the last two years? I guess I can’t stay 100lbs forever (and if you can, I envy you), it’s life.

To be honest with you, I’m kind of afraid of not staying or becoming even more “skinny” and because of that, I FORGET about the fact that being healthy and happy is what’s most important. So hey – I’ve got this all under control without you.

The most important part of being a woman is having confidence in every aspect of your life. You should be confident in your schoolwork, your lifestyle and, last but not least, your appearance. And as women, we grow for a reason like every other living being on this planet. Our body types are supposed to go through these changes.

Of course, I often still find myself feeling bad when I see people heading to the gym and all of “fitspo” all over the internet, but there is no need for someone else to make me feel that way. And to be honest, no one should ever have the ability to do so. I should feel lucky enough to be given the body I have and the first thing I need to do before anything else, is appreciate it.

So gym, are you really that necessary? Maybe, just not yet. First, I need to learn how to love the new body I’ve grown into; before I try to bring it back to where it was. Thankfully, you’ll always be around and if you’re lucky – we’ll meet again. For now, I just need to remind myself that regardless if I’m “bikini ready” or not, I’m beautiful – no matter how much I weigh. 

Disclaimer: These are my personal opinions and feelings, it is not meant to discourage anyone from their lifestyles. No pressure here!

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3.

Ellanje Ferguson

U Mass Amherst

Ellanje Ferguson is a senior Journalism and Communications double-major at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. She serves as the current Campus Correspondent-President and was the former Head Photographer and Social Media Director of Her Campus UMass Amherst. She has a large interest in writing, social media and fashion editorial work. She loves to write and give style advice! Aside from this, she enjoys blogging, listening to music, and of course - shopping.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst