This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Too often I hear girls on campus complain about their body type and how they want to change it. The worst part is when girls what to change their body for a guy or simply because they do not feel as though they fit in with what looks “good.” The media doesn’t make this any easier. Open any magazine and the typical model is very tall and very thin.

Well girls, it’s time to change the outlook on body shape. We should all start embracing the shape we were all born with and love who we are for what we are!

Every body is shaped differently. Some girls have a pear shape, while some have an apple shape, an athletic shape, and more. Each one is beautiful in their own way. Look at the celebrities below who each have a different body shape. They all look just as amazing, don’t they?

The hard part about the modeling industry is a “plus-size” model is a jean size of generally an 8-10 minimum. The average jean size in America is generally around a size 14. When we compare ourselves to what we see in the media, it is unrealistic. At times it is hard to remember that because the girls in the magazines often look amazing. But remember that there is touch-up and that this look is often unrealistic.

Here are some tips for embracing your body type:

• A great tip is to cut off the size tags on jeans so there is no worry about which pair is being worn that day (some days women can be more bloated than others).
  • Accentuate the features that you do have. Do you have great legs for example? Then wear the clothes that show off those amazing legs and that’s what will stand out.
  • Confidence in yourself is the most important feature you can have. Be positive and instead of looking at the negatives look at the positives and confidence will follow.

Embrace your body shape for what it is and who you are. Don’t let anyone tell you your body isn’t beautiful. Being healthy is more important than body shape.

HCXO!

Emily Jette

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst