This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Have you ever gotten an extreme craving for food from a restaurant that you know doesn’t deliver and instantly became sad when you remembered that it wasn’t possible?

Look no further. JoyRun, an up-and-coming food delivery app, which has been called the Uber for food, has made its way to UMass Amherst, and several other college campuses!

The app, which started in 2015, prides itself on allowing users to order food from restaurants that aren’t normally known for delivering, such as Antonio’s, Panera Bread, and Dunkin Donuts. JoyRun’s staff consists of everyday people who both benefit from and provide the services to hungry students on campus, so any JoyRun user can also act as runners for food orders and in turn, can earn money as well. Often times, they’re even your friends and fellow classmates, so you’ll most likely be receiving your order from a friendly face!

In the app, runners can inform other users when they are going on a run and to what restaurant, as well as setting the time frame that they will be accepting orders from users. If they want food or drinks delivered from that restaurant, they will place their orders with you. Runners are reimbursed by the app no later than the next day along with the minimum of a $3 service fee tip in addition to whatever the user tips. If you are heading to the library and stopping at say, Dunkin Donuts, on your way, you can advertise the run in the app. Other users currently in the library can see you that you are making a run to Dunkin Donuts and can put in an order with you via the app. The benefit of being a runner for this app is that you could end up making a profit with the tips you receive from doing something you were going to do anyways. It’s super convenient and is a fun opportunity to make use of any time you are out getting food. As broke college students, JoyRun is the perfect way to not only make money through delivery, but to get your favorite foods anytime, anywhere.

As an avid user of JoyRun, I can definitely confirm the conveniency of the app, as I can order food at any time. With my hectic schedule as a college student, there are days when I struggle to even find time to make it to the dining halls to eat and ordering food is often the easiest option for me. Just the other day, I was able to get a bowl of mac ’n’ cheese from Panera delivered to me at the library through a promotional JoyRun special in which users could order a selection of Panera items and get free delivery to the library. It was just what I needed after a long day of classes and an even longer night, knowing that I had to finish a 10-page paper. Although I don’t have a car or bike on campus to be a runner, there is also an option on the app to become a JoyRun ambassador, which allows you to still earn free food and money.

I was fortunate enough to ask Emily Coderre, a senior Public Health major at UMass, some questions about her recent experiences working for JoyRun.

Her Campus UMass Amherst: What made you decide to work as a JoyRunner?

Emily Coderre: I decided to work for JoyRun because I have a car on campus and am currently in need of some money, but am too busy to have a “job job.” Through JoyRun, I can do work on my own time.

HC: What is your favorite restaurant to make runs to?

EC: My favorite restaurant to make runs to is McDonald’s!

HC: What are the benefits of JoyRun? Why should people use it?

EC: The benefits for me, personally, is making some money while spending little on gas. People should use JoyRun if you don’t have a car, but don’t want to eat campus food or have to take the bus all the way to Hadley to get food and then have to find a bus back to campus. JoyRun is so much more convenient.  

HC: Any advice for future JoyRunners ?

EC: It definitely takes more time than you think it will on some runs. Issues come up and sometimes, there are longer waits than expected, but other than that, it’s a great experience!

The introduction of apps like JoyRun onto college campuses really sets the stage for the future of food service and delivery and I, for one, am excited to see where JoyRun takes this. Happy eating! For more information on JoyRun, visit their website or download the app.

Images/GIFs: 123

Sources: 1

Emma Sinclair

U Mass Amherst

Lover of Game of Thrones, musicals, Chipotle, and all things Disney.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst