timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

I Miss These 8 Early-2000s Movies — And I Bet You Do Too

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I would just about call the early-2000s a golden age for movies. I’d sit on my couch and watch them as an utter vision from this iconic period, eating a Froot by the Foot and wearing my denim skirt with a matching cropped jacket. As young college-goers now, those years were some of the most formative of our lives and the movies that were created undeniably shaped us. So get ready for a trip down memory lane.

1. Bring It On (2000)

After seeing this movie, I think we all suddenly wanted to be competitive cheerleaders. With hindsight, I just wanted to wear their outfits.

2. The Princess Diaries (2001)

I think we all need to take a moment and remember the single most iconic makeover of all time. Didn’t we all hope that one day we would wake up and be a princess of Genovia?

3. Freaky Friday (2003)

Lindsay Lohan slayed in this early 2000s movie, but, honestly, what else is new? To this day, I’m always careful when I go to Chinese restaurants with my mom.

4. 13 Going on 30 (2004)

We ALL wanted to jump on beds and sing “Love is a Battlefield” with Jenna Rink, just like we, too, wanted to be 30, flirty and thriving.

5. Aquamarine (2006)

After seeing Aquamarine, my friends and I begged our moms to let us dye a strip of our hair blue just like the characters in the movie. And we were “bullshark” when they said no!

6. The Lizzie McGuire Movie (2003)

Hey now, I think dreams were definitely made of watching this movie at an elementary school sleepover. Spoiler alert: Paolo’s a jerk!

7. How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (2003)

…and all the girls dreamed that they’d be Ben’s partner, they’d be Ben’s partner! My 9-year-old heart soared and broke with Kate Hudson’s character in How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. Bonus: this movie also taught me all of the words to “You’re so Vain” by Carly Simon.

8. Ice Princess (2005)

Casey Carlyle? You mean the most talented figure skater of our generation? This movie made all of us believe that we could be on the road to the Olympics with less than six months of figure skating lessons!

Images/GIFs: 1, 23, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

julia tasiopoulos

U Mass Amherst

University of Massachusetts Amherst 2020
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst