How To Wear Spring Fashions Now (Even In Freezing Temperatures)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

So, you walked into the mall to “window shop” and just couldn’t resist buying all of the spring pieces the stores were selling.

The only problem? There’s a foot of snow on the ground and the wind chill by the library could give you hypothermia in minutes. Now those pieces are stuck in your closet with all the tags still attached, taunting you as you get dressed in the morning and put on that oversized sweatshirt… again.

If you’re looking for a few ways to wear those impulse buys, then you’ve come to the right place!

The piece: Smock Dress

Dress: Forever 21, Sweater: American Eagle, Tights: Macy’s, Boots: American Eagle, Socks: Free People.

What to wear it with: Comfy, loose-fitting sweater, tights, knee socks, and combat boots.

What Collegiette could resist that cute floral print and the drape that could hide any food baby?

Pop on that chunky sweater you’ve been living in all winter, layer on some tights and a pair of cute knee socks. The lacy pattern and light color of these Free People socks gives them a more spring feeling, and they’ll help keep your feet warm and dry. Top it off with your favorite combat boots and you have a cute, comfy outfit can take you from class to spring break by removing a few layers.

The piece: Crop Top

Top: Forever 21, Jeans: Urban Outfitters, Cardigan: American Eagle, Sneakers: Nordstrom.

What to wear it with: High-waisted jeans, a cardigan, and sneakers.

If Miley can wear it, why can’t you?

High-waisted jeans will minimize the amount of midriff you show, keeping you covered – not cold. Layering a chunky cardigan on top can keep you warm when you have class in a drafty room. The sneakers will make it a little easier when you press the snooze button a few too many times and have to run to class – literally.

The piece: Maxi Skirt

Skirt: Urban Outfitters, Sweater: Forever 21, Leggings: Nordstrom, Booties: American Eagle.

What to wear it with: A cropped sweater, leggings, and heeled booties.

Who can resist a good maxi skirt in the summer? It can give you an extra day between shaving your legs while still being cool and breezy. In the winter, however, that breeziness is more of a con. The solution: Leggings. You can wear your favorite pair of leggings under a maxi skirt and no one will have a clue. The only caveat is that this doesn’t work so well with jersey skirts. The fabric will most likely stick to your legs, so stay with a chiffon or cotton weave skirt. If you’re on the petite side, heeled booties will help keep the skirt from dragging in the snow.

Now that you have a few ideas for how to style your spring pieces, it’s time to ditch that oversized sweatshirt and start enjoying your new wardrobe!

Are you as excited for spring as us, Collegiettes?

Hi, I'm Kelsey! I'm a junior marketing and English major. I love fashion, and hope to work in the industry after I graduate. My hobbies include blogging, reading, and watching near-unhealthy amounts of YouTube beauty and fashion videos.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst