How to Survive a Horror Movie or TV Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If you’re into horror movies like me, you know there is nothing more frustrating than watching a character do something that will get them killed.

Time after time, I witness the mistakes characters make. Well, I am here today to prevent this from ever happening to any of you. For your sake, I hope none of you ever have to worry about being in a horror film. But, if you do find yourself running from a clown/guy with an axe/possessed person/any other terrifying bad guy, then you’re welcome. 

1. If you see a creepy clown approach you, I don’t know, maybe start RUNNING!

In the pilot episode of this season’s American Horror Story: Freak Show, we meet a clown named Twisty. Don’t get me wrong, he is one of my favorite characters in the show, but HELLO!! If you see a clown like this coming towards you, run, get in your car and drive, anything. Whatever you do, do not accept the flowers he gives you.

2. TURN THE LIGHTS ON.

I cannot tell you how many times I have been watching a horror movie and the people creep around their house because they heard or saw something strange. They just leave all the lights off. Lights are your friends when it comes to this genre. 

3. Beware of yard sales.

Don’t get me wrong, I am a huge fan of yard sales; you can find some real gems. But be careful about what you pick up there. Things to stay away from include boxes with weird carvings that won’t open, evil dolls, pendants and lockets (really any type of antique jewelry), and (a BIG no-no) old photos from other families. 

4. Hitchhikers = NO.

Do not, under any circumstances, pick up hitchhikers. It is just not a good idea, so don’t do it. 

5. Avoid anything that invites spirits into your home, things like seances or Ouija boards.

It may seem cool, but trust me, you do not want to play around with this stuff. Just look at the new movie Ouija. It is the perfect example of why you shouldn’t invite spirits into your home.

6. Never let anyone you don’t know into your house.

I can remember watching The Purge and being so upset with the little boy for letting a random man into their house. If there is one thing to remember in a horror movie, it’s that it is okay to be selfish. 

7. Don’t look under the bed.

They made a whole movie about it. Go watch it. 

8. Never try to yell at the spirit.

Provoking spirits is just not a good idea.They are more powerful than you are, remember that. Here’s what might happen (results may vary): 

So, there it is. Hopefully you all avoid being the stars of a horror movie. But if you do somehow end up there, makes sure to follow these rules. You might just make it out alive.

Happy Halloween, Collegiettes!

Sources: 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Annelise Mahoney

U Mass Amherst

College girl, dog lover, food fanatic, fashion addict, makeup enthusiast, I will be famous so I'll meet you in Hollywood!  "I've never been a millionaire but I know I'd be just darling at it." - Dorothy Parker
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst