How to Stay Safe During Your Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

t’s happened to us all, that creepy guy you can’t seem to shake at the bar, a party or concert. He lurks around and every time you look up he’s sketchily looking at your or worse smirking. SO GROSS. Everyone knows the dangers of going on spring break, we’ve heard the horror stories of Natalie Holloway, and other girls faced with dangers while trying to enjoy a week with friends. While everyone else is going to tell you to “Have fun and be safe!” I am going to tell you exactly how to remain safe during this spring break.

1) Meeting Place: You’ve been taught this since you were a child “If you get lost go to _______” and this rule still holds true. Spring break is crazy, people are drunk and running around and it becomes incredibly easy to lose you friends. Make sure before you go out you know a specific location to meet up. Use large buildings, or bright lights to be your “north star”, they will be both easier to find (no matter how many drinks you’ve had) and easy to ask for directions to.

2) Kicking the Creep to the Curb: I am all too familiar with this one…. So to get grid of the guy who can’t seem to get a hint here are a few lines that always work.
            1) “Oh! I see my friend, she’s been texting me she wants to leave, let me go talk to her!”
            2) “ Uh oh my boyfriends here, you better stand back a little he’s pretty protective.”

And if alllll else fails, my favorite:
            3) “I actually think I’m going to throw up…”

3) Alcohol & the Sun: It’s a deadly combo… you don’t need to have many drinks under the Florida sun to be feeling buzzed. That being said, you need to realize how dangerous it is to spend hours exposed to UV rays without sunscreen.  Between drinks (or every two if you’re slugging them down,) reapply sunscreen and remember to drink water. No one wants to be the girl throwing up on the beach or so fried and hungover she misses out on an entire day of spring break.

The Facts:

The American Medical Association released these shocking statistics:

83% of college woman drink more on spring break then they usually do and 74% of college women experience increased sexual activity. I’m sure it’s not surprise to see these facts but keep in mind the dangers of sexual activity with a random hot guy at a bar. He may have STD’s or hooked up with someone earlier in the week that had contact with someone else with STD’s. The chain could go on and on, not to mention the dangers of going back to a hotel with someone you barely know.

Spring break is a common time to just yell “YOLO” and do it. Don’t be someone who lets a spring break define how you’re viewed, or the direction your life needs to take. Have fun, but most of all be safe.

Deirdre Cusack

U Mass Amherst

I am a senior Communication and English major at the University of Massachusetts. I love music, food, dancing, my friends and family not in that particular order but preferably at the same time. I am an avid reader and have always had a passion for writing. I have an incurable addiction to iced coffee, popcorn, Boston sports and anything that sparkles. I hope to one day live in New York City and pursue a career at Cosmo.