How To Stay Motivated During The Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Let’s face it, winter is a really hard time to be at school. When all you want to do is curl up in your warm bed and never wander into the cold, you have obligations: to go to class, to go eat, and to go work. It’s extremely hard to stay motivated during the winter when it’s this cold out. So, I think we should all just stay inside and forget about everything else that we have to do, and just wait this winter out. Agree?

WRONG. Of course we can’t do that. We have things to do, people to see, and one of the most difficult aspects of the winter is hauling yourself over to the gym. Sure, the gym has been completely crowded lately with people still busting out their New Year’s Resolutions…but in reality, it’s super hard to get yourself to go to the gym in the cold. I’m going to try to give you some motivation.

Summer bodies are made in the winter.

You’ve probably heard this a thousand times but it’s true. If you plan on being bikini ready by summer, the best time to start is now, not in the beginning of summer (believe me, I’ve tried). So when you’re under the covers, and the last thing you want to do is leave, think about those beach trips and the beach boys you’re going to see – and the cute bikini you’re going to treat yourself to once the summer rolls around. 

Working out can help beat the winter blues.

A lot of people get a type of seasonal depression when, during the winter, they feel very down in the dumps. It’s kind of hard not to, with endless amounts of snow and no sunshine in sight. Exercising is a great way to release some dopamine and feel just a little bit happier, despite the cold.

Am I the only one who is already completely stressed about classes?

It’s only a few weeks in and I’m already super overwhelmed. When I’m super stressed, I head on over to the gym because exercising is a proven stress reliever and it can help you relax for a while (and then be ready to go back and tackle all that homework).

Gym Classes!

With the new IM Leagues sign up, you have to sign up for gym classes a day before you actually go. This is a great way to stay motivated because, once you sign up, you feel more obligated to go and are less likely to back out. I have to vouch for gym classes because I would personally much rather do an hour gym class with a bunch of motivated people instead of going on the elliptical for an hour (just my personal opinion). 

Spring Break is coming up next month.

Unfortunately, I will not be going anywhere for spring break. I’ll be stuck at home wishing that I was on a beach or somewhere at least slightly warmer. But for you lucky ladies who will be relaxing and enjoying some nicer weather, this is crunch time for beach body preparation! Look at the catalogs for the new spring break collections of bathing suits and clothes, and use that as your motivation.

I digress. It’s extremely hard to stay motivated and want to go to the gym when it’s this miserable outside. Just keep in mind the nicer weather, the summer, the sunshine days coming ahead, and stay motivated, Collegiettes!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Andrea Lee is a freshman at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Majoring in Communication, she is planning on pursuing interests in many different fields and taking different classes in order to find what she loves best. Andrea was an editor-in-chief of her high school newspaper, and has loved to write for her whole life. Coming from the small town of Walpole, Andrea was overwhelmed by the large university but has found it to be her new home and loves being on campus.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst